Chapter 5

The moon shed its brilliant light across the moorland, providing the night patrol with the vision they needed to traverse their territory. MoonClan apprentice, Leopardpaw padded alongside her mentor, Berryheart. Ahead of her was the deputy of her clan, Violetfur as well as Mosswind, Daisyheart and Ashfeather.

The night was silent, only the distant sound of the flowing rivers and crickets chirping. Leopardpaw loved beautiful nights like this, even if the chilly air was biting at her ear-tips and nose, she still felt so at home shrouded in the darkness with the moon to guide them. She held her head high and walked with purpose as the patrol neared the river. They didn't have a border on this side, but Shadowstar had instructed the patrol to check it anyway, Leopardpaw wasn't sure why.

Violetfur led the way towards the river with the patrol making quick pace behind her. They approached the river bed and Violetfur started moving faster, making longer strides towards the river. She signaled with her tail for the rest of the patrol to wait. "What do you think is going on?" Mosswind questioned Ashfeather, keeping her voice low. "We don't usually spend much time on the river border like this."

"I'm not sure." Ashfeather slowly shook her head. "But Shadowstar has been acting strange ever since the gathering, both he and Violetfur seem intent on making patrols more intensive and more frequent."

"I saw Shadowstar talking with Riverstar at the gathering," Berryheart spoke up and neither of them looked happy about the conversation. "Do you think it may have something to do with that?" Was there an issue with AshClan? Leopardpaw wondered silently, she didn't want to impose on the conversation, she was just an apprentice after all.

"It could, but I can't really remember the last time MoonClan had any issues with AshClan aside from their usual rudeness." Mosswind pointed out.

"If I'm remembering correctly, the last I remember AshClan and MoonClan fighting was before even Ivystar became leader. This was during Cloudstar's reign, Crowstar hadn't even returned from his journey yet."

"Wow." Berryheart's eyes widened slightly. "Have MoonClan and AshClan been at peace since then?"

"We have never shared a border with them." Mosswind replied. "We've never had a reason to be at odds with AshClan. The only fights in the past were usually the result of Goldenstar who was always ready to fight for no reason."

"You will know what's going on when Shadowstar is ready to tell you." The sudden commanding voice of Violetfur spoke up, all MoonClan cats turned their attention to the deputy. She didn't seem irritated, but Leopardpaw could tell that she was tense, she was worried about something.

"Is there anything you can tell us?" Ashfeather questioned.

Violetfur shook her head. "No, I'm sorry." She waved her tail slowly, continuing forward with the patrol. "It's not because we don't want to, it's because we don't have a lot of information yet. All we know is that Riverstar was acting aggressive towards Shadowstar in particular at the gathering and had some kind of issue to bring up with him, he will discuss it with the rest of the Clan we he knows more."

"Alright." Ashfeather seemed content with Violetfur's answer as did the rest of the patrol. Leopardpaw trusted both her leader and her deputy and knew that they would keep the Clan's best interest at heart, she felt safe.

The night patrol continued, marking the MountainClan border before they began heading home. Leopardpaw thought a lot about the journey that she had made in order to bring MountainClan to the forest. She head learned so much and made a lot of friends, she was happy that MountainClan was settling in so well in their new home. She often thought about Fennelpaw and especially Owlpaw, she had grown close to the SunClan apprentice during the journey and she was glad that she followed the path of a medicine cat as it clearly suited her more.