Chapter 32

Owlbreeze stared at her reflection in the gentle flowing river as she slowly came to terms with what she had realized. She felt a shock in her chest, but she also felt like all the signs had been so obvious. The owl had been trying to guide her to MountainClan since even before Mothflower left. Was I always meant to be with them? She felt a raging storm of conflicted feelings raging in her heart and mind.

"How am I supposed to just leave?" Owlbreeze spoke aloud. "How am I supposed to just leave my Clan? Everyone I've ever loved is in this Clan. My family, my friends, everyone." She stood up, turning in the direction of her Clan. But you wanted this, didn't you? Her own voice spoke in her mind, clawing at thoughts she had kept hidden even from herself for so long. You've been drawn to them ever since they joined the other Clans.

"Yes but--" Owlbreeze flexed her claws anxiously. "I never thought it would be a possibility. MountainClan had a medicine cat, I did what StarClan wanted me to do, that's all that was needed of me. There was no use for me in MountainClan."

There is now. Owlbreeze dropped her head. You've been feeling constantly in the way in SunClan, they won't say it but three medicine cats is too many. Owlbreeze sighed pitifully. "I'll admit it," She glanced longingly over the MoonClan border. "I've thought about being a MountainClan more than once, I felt such a strong bond with Mountainstar, I miss her." I felt accomplished, I felt needed. In SunClan...I just feel like a burden.

Owlbreeze felt the cold air starting to make her shiver and ache. I need to get back home. She thought. I will sleep on this, I need time to think about what to do. She looked at the owl one last time who seemed quiet pleased that it finally got its message to her. She turned her back on the owl and began the long walk home.

By the time she reached her nest her body felt frozen and her lungs were aching. She curled up in her nest, trying to warm herself as much possible. She did her best to clear her mind and sleep and found that despite her racing mind, she managed to fall asleep in a short amount of time.

*****

When Owlbreeze opened her eyes it was not morning, she was back by the MoonClan border with the owl flying overhead. Why am I back here? She questioned silently. I got the message.

"Sorry to pull you back here." Owlbreeze jumped slightly as she heard the voice of Mosscloud. The tortoiseshell she-cat stepped into view, her green as soft as always. "But I imagine you have many questions."

"I don't know if you can answer them." Owlbreeze replied. "I know the message you were sending, I'm supposed to be MountainClan's medicine cat." Mosscloud nodded. "If it was my destiny to be MountainClan's medicine cat why did they bother with having me train Mothflower at all?"

Mosscloud sat down, resting her tail across her paws. "Because it's not your destiny. This was never planned, it was always meant to be Mothflower."

Owlbreeze stared at her in disbelief. "That doesn't make any sense, it clearly wasn't meant to be Mothflower if she left."

"StarClan can't control the actions of cats, Owlbreeze. Mothflower made this choice herself, all we can do is guide and advise. We didn't know Mothflower would struggle as much as she did, even with my training she never had the faith in herself."

"So then why me? Owlbreeze asked once again.

"Because you were the best option. You are already connected with MountainClan, you know the cats there, you are a talented medicine cat and SunClan already has two medicine cats so we wouldn't be risking anything by you leaving." Mosscloud took a deep breath. "I would like you to know, that you don't have to do this, Owlbreeze. It is ultimately your choice, we don't want to force you to do this."