Chapter 6

Owlpaw padded back into camp with Honeyfrost by her side, the two medicine cats both carrying herbs with them. Honeyfrost had coltsfoot while Honeyfrost carried chickweed, both used to treat coughs. The medicine cats had been hard at work the past few days in an attempt to prepare for the upcoming season, which was approaching fast. Each passing day became colder and colder, the nights were chilly and they would only be getting worse.

Pebblestep had explained that catmint was by for the most important herb during this season, but it was in short supply this season. She had planned to treat each cat as soon as possible with herbs like coltsfoot and chickweed so they could attempt at preventing it the sickness from getting worse.

The two medicine cats reached the den and placed their herbs in the herb store. "Good work." Honeyfrost mewed. "That should be very helpful for us."

"How bad is greencough?" Owlpaw questioned, feeling a small sense of anxiety as she thought about the arrival of leaf-bare.

"It can be bad from what I've heard." Honeyfrost mewed. "The first leaf-bare I experienced was during the journey to the new territories and it claimed the life of a few cats, but none from SunClan." She pawed through the herbs, focused on her task. "Now that I think about I don't think SunClan has lost a cat to greencough in a long time. "Before I was even born, I believe. We've had cats get sick before, but we've usually managed to keep them safe."

Owlpaw let out a breath of relief. "So we should be okay?"

"That depends on us." Honeyfrost turned her attention to Owlpaw. "Cats have been surviving greencough because of the hard work of medicine cats, we will have our work cut out for us. Are you up for it?"

Owlpaw tensed slightly, she wasn't sure exactly how bad it would be, but this was the path she chose. She stepped away from the life of a warrior and she had to find the strength to be a medicine cat, it was her destiny afterall. "I am." She replied, but she couldn't help but feel a slight falter to her voice, she hoped that Honeyfrost didn't notice.

"Good." Honeyfrost waved her tail in satisfaction. "SunClan is lucky to have three medicine cats, we should be just fine this season as long as we're willing to put in the work." Owlpaw nodded and moved to put the rest of her chickweed away. As she did so she stumbled forward, knocking over a pile of dried leaves. Her pelt burned with embarrassment as Honeyfrost looked over at her. "Sorry." She mewed sheepishly. As long as I don't get under anyone's paws. Owlpaw thought as she carefully picked up the stack of dried herbs and tucking them away in a safer location. I should be just fine.

"When is Pebblestep coming back?" Owlpaw mewed once she finished.

"I'm not sure." Honeyfrost replied. "She went out with Yarrowtail to try and search the entire territory for catmint. She'll probably be gone for a while."

"Alright." Owlpaw wasn't quite sure what to do with herself, Honeyfrost seemed capable of finishing her sorting by herself and Owlpaw didn't want to be in the way. She rose to her paws and left the medicine cat den to give Honeyfrost some space. She sat outside the den and began washing the scent of herbs off her paws. Even though she was happy as a medicine cat there was still a part of her that felt like she was always in the way. SunClan had two fully trained medicine cats, it felt like there wasn't much space for her.

Owlpaw shook her head, trying to get the thoughts out of her head. It's just nerves. I will find my place. I know I will. She took a deep breath and tried to clear her thoughts the best she could, but her silence was quickly broken.

"Owlpaw!" The gray she-cat jumped slightly and her eyes shot up, she found Burnclaw racing towards her.

"What's wrong?" She rose to her paws in alarm, feeling a slight sense of panic.