Chapter 26

"So I start by giving them tansy if they develop a cough and isolate them in the medicine cat den. If it gets worse then I give them chickweed and my last resort should be to give them the catmint." Mountainstar recited to Owlpaw, pointing to each herb as she named it.

"Correct." Owlpaw nodded. "I also brought coltsfoot just in case, which can also ease coughing and feverfew will help reduce a fever if it arises."

"Understood." Mountainstar nodded.

"You learned this all very quickly." Owlpaw praised the leader. "Though I wish you didn't have to take on the roll of both leader and medicine cat." She said with a sigh as she carefully organized the herbs in a way that would be easy for Mountainstar to recognize.

"I know but I promise to take care of my Clan. They are busy hunting for our Clan, so I figured the least I could do was take on this responsibility until StarClan sends a new medicine cat. Which I hope is soon."

"Me too." Owlpaw sighed. "I will let you know as soon as I know anything."

"Of course." Mountainstar nodded, but something was still clearly troubling her. "What should I do about Riverstep? I'm not sure I could handle delivering kits."

When Owlpaw had gotten there Mountainstar explained that Riverstep had been expecting Antwhisker's kits, another thing they needed a medicine cat for. "She's still not due for at least a moon and a half. When it gets closer to that time I will ask Pebblestep and Honeyfrost to teach me the process and let me come here to stay, if we haven't found a medicine cat yet. If she somehow starts kitting before then, then have a warrior run to MoonClan camp to ask Oneflight for help. When I leave I plan on stopping by to let him know of the situation."

"Thank you, Owlpaw." Mountainstar dipped her head. "We are very appreciative of your help. I just hope StarClan hurries in sending us a new medicine cat, we can't have you being a medicine cat for two Clans at the same time."

"I hope so too." Owlpaw replied. "But I am happy to help." She made sure to look over the herbs. "But I think it's time for me to go back to SunClan, I would like to get back before sunset."

"Of course." Mountainstar nodded, but Owlpaw could see sadness in her eyes and it was the same sadness that Owlpaw felt internally. "Thank you again, I hope I can do enough to keep my Clanmates healthy."

"I believe in you, Mountainstar. Oneflight and Roseheart are always there to help as well." Owlpaw responded and Mountainstar nodded her head. The two she-cats stepped out of the den and into the open camp. The MountainClan cats were busy at work, keeping their paws busy. Owlpaw had enjoyed the day she spent in MountainClan, it reminded her of the journey and how comfortable and happy she had felt with the MountainClan cats.

"They all seem happy." Owlpaw said, looking over the warriors.

"They do." Mountainstar replied. "I still wish I could've done something for the five cats I lost."

Owlpaw shook her head. "There's nothing you can do about it now, soon Riverstep will give birth and MountainClan will have more warriors, and you will continue to grow, just as the other four Clans do."

"Thank you for your words of encouragement." Mountainstar took a deep breath, touching her tail to Owlpaw's shoulders. "You should get on the move before it gets late and cold."

"I know." Owlpaw looked up at the Clan leader. "Don't hesitate to ask for help if you need it."

"Of course." Mountainstar dipped her head. "Travel safely, Owlpaw."

Owlpaw said goodbye to many of the MountainClan warriors who had been incredibly kind to her on her visit. She had enjoyed training Mountainstar on the usage of herbs, and she felt like she had a purpose within the MountainClan camp, but she knew she couldn't stay forever.