Chapter 8

Slatepaw walked into camp, keeping his head low. His mouth was full of prey that he quickly deposited onto the fresh-kill pile. With every movement and action he made he could feel his Clanmates staring at him and judging him. The anger of losing out on his warrior ceremony had not gone away, it had only turned into a smolder instead of a raging fire. He also had barely spoken to his mentor since it happened. She would tell him to hunt, clean the elder's den, clean the nursery or help Blackstorm and Slatepaw did so, in a silent anger. He hadn't forgiven Blackstorm for being the sole cause of the loss of his warrior ceremony. If he had just left me alone none of this would have ever happened.

Slatepaw did what Leafdawn asked of him, without complaint, in hopes she would see that he was working hard with his Clanmates, even if he refused to get along with them. He didn't do a whole lot of talking these days, he just wanted to get through the next grueling days, hoping it wouldn't be too much longer before earning his warrior name. His sisters, Mistflight and Dewleaf were living happy lives as warriors and every it made him more and more angry.

"Now that you're done hunting," Leafdawn mewed, causing Slatepaw to turn his attention to her. "Go give Tetra some new moss."

"Okay." Slatepaw replied in a dry tone before heading towards the medicine cat den where Blackstorm kept the extra moss. He stepped inside, breathing a sigh of relief as he found the den empty. He moved to the back of the den and gathered a bunch of moss to bring to the nursery. He left the medicine cat den and crossed the camp quickly to get to the nursery.

Inside Tetra was stretched out across her nest which she had flattened and was clearly clawed up. Her nest was always like this, he didn't know why he just figured it was a rogue thing. "If it isn't the grumpy apprentice." Tetra mewed with a yawn upon seeing Slatepaw. Slatepaw shot her a glare and lashed his tail but set down the moss bundle and began clearing out the old moss while the queen sat up. "You know if you spend the rest of your days sulking, you're just going to make yourself feel worse."

"Don't talk like you know me." Slatepaw grumbled. "You never had to be an apprentice. You don't want I'm feeling."

"You're right." Tetra mewed, licking her forepaw. "But I know what disappointment feels like, every cat does. I lived on my own for moons, you should consider yourself lucky that you grew up surrounded by cats who love you and are willing to protect you instead of cats that would just as easily toss you to the dogs for an extra bite of crowfood."

"I spent plenty of time around rouges when I was gone." Slatepaw snorted as he finished up clearing out the old moss. "I don't need your life story."

"Good because I wasn't going to give it to you." Tetra said with a smug tone to her voice. "I've seen a lot of arrogant cats in my time, both rogues and now warriors. I seemed to join the Clan that has the most arrogant warriors, and yet you somehow top them all."

"If you're trying to get me to open up about how I'm feeling, it's not going to work. I don't care what you or any other cat thinks about me."

"That needs to change." Tetra said, her voice turning slightly dull. Slatepaw turned his head to glare at her once more, she gave him a very serious look.

"It's one thing to not let others bring you down due to insults, but in my short time in this Clan as a warrior I've seen something that really matters. Respect. If your Clanmates don't respect you then what's the point of being a warrior? You'd be better off as a rogue with that attitude."

Better off as a rogue. Slatepaw flicked his tail. "Whatever." He didn't have anything to say in response. He turned away and focused on her nest, thankfully Tetra remained silent for the rest of his work. Once he finished, Slatepaw stepped to the side.