Chapter 30

Mountainstar lead her Clan back to camp, the weight of what happened at the gathering stull hung in the back of her mind. She didn't know what to do with two Clans fighting such an intense battle. Especially one that resulted in the death of a Clan leader. She had been feeling a storm of conflicted feelings. She had been taught by the other Clans that Riverstar was a well respected leader, strong and a bit cocky at times but noble.

Then at the gathering after she was exposed for killing Shadowstar it seemed like every single warrior aside from AshClan saw her as a violent and bloodthirsty cat. She did kill Shadowstar. Mountainstar had to agree that was a terrible tragedy that the MoonClan leader had been killed. But she looked genuinely stressed about, she didn't mean to kill him. She didn't know what to feel.

Mountainstar and her warriors finally reached the camp and she could tell they were nervous about what had happened at the gathering as well. "Do you think that the issue between MoonClan and AshClan is going to be a problem for us?" It was Hazelspring who spoke up.

Mountainstar shook her head. "I don't believe so. We will be following Timberstar's advice and staying out of the conflict. If we keep a neutral stance then we shouldn't have any issues from either Clan." She could tell that her Clanmates were still nervous. "We have to worry about our own Clan right now." She added. "We need to keep hunting and providing for each other. We don't have a medicine cat right now, we will not be getting involved. I promise our Clan will remain safe." Those words seemed to help give some peace of mind to her warriors. "Now return to your dens, stay warm and get some rest."

She dismissed her warriors and apprentices until only she and Nettleheart remaind in the center of camp. "Do you believe that the other Clans won't bother us?"

"I don't see why they would." Mountainstar sighed and started walking towards her own den, Nettleheart close behind her "We don't share a border with AshClan and they've never shown us any hostility and MoonClan has always been kind towards us. We'll keep our distance."

"I hope you're right." Nettleheart let out a sigh. "Last thing we need is a fight right now with no medicine cat."

Mountainstar nodded. "We'll find a new medicine cat in time."

"Did Owlpaw say anything to you at the gathering?"

"We really didn't get a chance to talk, she seemed stressed about everything since she apparently watched the entire thing happen. I imagine if she had heard something she would've made sure to tell me."

The two of them arrived at Mountainstar's den and she faced her deputy. "We just have to remain stong, for each other."

"Of course." Nettleheart stepped closer, touching her muzzle to Mountainstar's. The leader closed her eyes and embraced her deputy's warmth. "You'd doing a wonderful job, keeping us safe."

"I'm just doing my job as leader." Mountainstar breathed out, moving closer and affectionately nuzzling Nettleheart. Ever since Mothflower and the others left, Nettleheart had been spending every night in Mountainstar's den, the two of them curled up together and sharing their warmth. It had been the most peaceful nights of her entire life.

"Let's go to bed." Nettleheart urged her. "It's been a long and cold night." Mountainstar couldn't agree more as she turned and followed Nettleheart into the warm den. Mountainstar knew how she felt about Nettleheart, and she knew how Nettleheart felt about her.

They hadn't officially state wanted they were, but they didn't need to. When Mountainstar looked at Nettleheart she felt happiness and safety, comfort and love. That was all that she needed to know.

Mountainstar got into her nest with Nettleheart, the two of them wrapping their forelegs around each other, their tails intertwining and Mountainstar nestling her head under Nettleheart's chin. No more words needed to be said as the two of them stayed warm together, and surrounded by the comfort of the cat she cared about dearly, Mountainstar fell into a peaceful sleep.