Chapter 10

Blossompaw woke with a shiver, as the icy air of leafbare crept into the apprentice den. She slowly lifted her head, eyes opening sluggishly as she let out a big yawn. She was one of two apprentices left in the den, the other one being Rushpaw and without the rest of the apprentices to keep warm with, the den had become brisk. She rose to her paws and stretched out her limbs, shaking her head slightly to wake herself up.

Blossompaw climbed stepped out of the apprentice den and was instantly greeted by a harsh wind to the face. She shivered again and looked around, SunClan camp was barren of any of her Clanmates. She figured that those who weren't out hunting or on patrol were hiding in the warriors den to keep warm. Even if it hadn't snowed yet, Blossompaw knew that it wasn't far off with how harsh the freezing winds were.

Blossompaw knew that Mudfall had planned something for them today, she just wasn't sure what yet. She also knew that if Mudfall wasn't out in the forest, he was probably in the nursery. Blossompaw crossed the camp and arrived at the nursery. The four queens were inside, along with Mudfall who was sharing tongues with Dovepool.

"Good morning, Blossompaw." Dovepool purred, with Mudfall lifting his head as well.

"Blossompaw!" Six little voices cried out in joy as the kits of both Sedgfefern and Dovepool tumbled over themselves to get to her.

"Hey little ones." Blossompaw purred loudly.

"You haven't visited us in in like forever." Juniperkit complained, giving Blossompaw an adorable pouty expression.

"I visited you three days ago." Blossompaw let out a laugh.

"It felt like forever." Oatkit pointed out. "We missed you. You're always so busy."

"Well that's what it's like being an apprentice." Blossompaw replied. "But I missed you all too." Due to Mudfall often being in the nursery with Dovepool in between training sessions, Blossompaw was also in here quite a bit and had become quite popular with the kits, telling them stories of her training and playing with them. She loved being around the kits, she felt nothing but happiness watching them play and have fun.

"Are your brothers awake?" Mudfall questioned, pulling Blossompaw's attention away from the kits.

"Oakpaw is, but I didn't see him in camp, Rushpaw was still sleeping when I woke up."

"I imagine Oakpaw and Burnclaw already went out to train." Mudfall touched his muzzle to Dovepool's. "I will come visit you once we're done."

"Are you leaving already?" Mintkit complained, eyes growing sad.

"I'll come visit too. Maybe I'll bring you all something to play with." Blossompaw promised.

That seemed to make the six kits happy enough to let Blossompaw and Mudfall leave the nursery. They stepped out into the cold air and Blossompaw's body shivered. "So what are we doing?"

"You and Oakpaw are going to be helping Maplepaw and Bramblepaw in their warrior assessment."

Blossompaw lifted her head, happily flicking her tail. "That sounds fun."

"Fun, maybe." Mudfall cast her a playful side glance. "But it's also as assessment for you. It may not be your warrior assessment but I need you to take it seriously."

"I always do." Blossompaw said cheekily before the two of them ventured into the forest. As they walked through the trees, Blossompaw thought about when her own warrior assessment would be. She knew she was still young, but se had been working hard. She recalled when she had been over working herself in a desperate attempt to keep up with her siblings.