Chapter 28

"Sit still would you." Blackstorm said sharply. Slatepaw glared at the medicine cat but listened to him as Blackstorm placed a thick layer of herbs on his shoulder. Slatepaw winced from the stinging herbs, but he could handle it. It didn't compare to the pain he felt during the battle.

Slatepaw had blacked out from the pain after getting to Blackstorm during the battle and he had been in an out of consciousness for the rest of the night and early in the morning. He had woken up a bit ago, not longer after sunhigh. He knew that AshClan had won their fight, but he also learned that Riverstar had killed Shadowstar and left AshClan quite shaken up, but he couldn't imagine why.

Shadowstar was an old leader, he was clearly on his last legs. Slatepaw flicked his tail at the thought, knowing that his Clan was showing doubt about the fight. He didn't care to think about that now, he just wanted to get out of the medicine cat den.

AshClan had suffered minimal injuries, with Slatepaw being the worst. Haresong had a nasty bite on her shoulder, Primroseheart had some deep claw wounds on her chest and Sageheart had several wounds across her entire body but they were already recovering. MoonClan was no match for us, clearly.

There was something more pressing on his mind though, something that he had been waiting a long time for. He wanted nothing more to leave this den and make Leafdawn keep her promise, but he wasn't going to force his way around, he would not risk jeopardizing his warrior ceremony again.

"There." Blackstorm said a few moments later, stepping back and admiring the wound wrappings. "You can go off to Leafdawn now, but be careful." His icy blue eyes glared at Slatepaw. "I know that you're probably going to have your warrior ceremony but you still need to take things slow or I'll make you stay in this den even longer."

"Fine." Slatepaw lashed his tail. He wouldn't argue with Blackstorm, he wouldn't argue with anyone. Just let me out of this stupid den.

"Get out of here then I'm tired of you glaring at me all the time." Blackstorm flicked Slatepaw with his tail and the apprentice withheld a growl. How can they expect me not to argue with this arrogant furball. Despite his urge to claw Blackstorm's nose, he listened and left the medicine cat den, having to limp as he did so.

Slatepaw stepped into the snowy camp, looking at the bright sun above for a brief moment. He breathed in the fresh air of AshClan camp, feeling the sweet scent of pine replenish his strength. He hated being stuck in the medicine cat den. He limped forward, his eyes scanning the crowd of AshClan cats.

There was an air of uncertainty within the Clan, they were clearly upset about the death of the MoonClan leader but Slatepaw didn;t care right now. He found Leafdawn sitting with Dustfall and Rabbitspring and limped over to her. She looked at Slatepaw with a curious look. "Did Blackstorm say you could leave?"

"I wouldn't be standing here if he didn't." Slatepaw explained. "I let him do all that he needed, he just told me to take it easy which I will." He narrowed his eyes. "But you told me I earned my warrior name. I kept my promise."

"I know you did, Slatepaw." Leafdawn let out a sigh, but gave him a pleasant look for the first time in nearly a moon. "Come on," She stood up. "Let's go talk to Riverstar." Slatepaw nodded and noticed Dustfall and Rabbitspring looking at him with amusement. He ignored them and just followed his mentor towards the leader's den.

As they approached, he could hear the voices of Riverstar and Stormheart grow louder as they walked closer to the den. "This is going to be very difficult to deal with." Stormheart spoke. "But we have to think of something."

"I know--" Riverstar spoke, her voice clearly distressed. "I didn't--I didn't mean for this to happen. I never wanted to kill him, Stormheart!" Leafdawn stopped for a moment.