Chapter 25

"Let all cats old enough to catch their prey gather for a Clan meeting!" Slatepaw lifted his head, slightly annoyed that he would have to leave his warm nest in the apprentice den to attend some Clan meeting. He let out a groan as he rose to his paws and poked his head outside of the den. He saw that Riverstar had called the meeting and the Clan was starting to gather.

Slatepaw didn't know what this meeting was about, and since it wasn't his warrior ceremony he didn't particularly care, but he knew he was required to attend. Slatepaw stepped out of the apprentice den and gathered with the rest of Clan, sitting slightly isolated from everyone else.

He spotted Otterpaw and his siblings sitting close together, talking and being obnoxious about what they thought the meeting might be about. Slatepaw flicked his tail in annoyance but kept his gaze focused on Riverstar who sat tall with Stormheart at her side.

When the Clan had finally all gathered, the AshClan leader began. "I'm sure you are all aware of the tensions we've had with MoonClan in the past few moons." Slatepaw hadn't been aware of the issues until he returned, where he was then told that MoonClan cats had been often picking fights and starting arguments at gatherings, and when Riverstar had visited Shadowstar in their camp, he had only been disrespectful and rude to the warriors, refusing to take accountability for his warriors.

Slatepaw had been nearby when he saw one of the MoonClan apprentices bump into Harewhisker. Harewhisker had told the three apprentices to act more mature and to stop playing around and they responded with nothing but attitude and disrespect towards an older warrior.

Harewhisker rightfully called them out on the matter when Brokenclaw, one of the apprentice's mentor snapped at Harewhisker telling him not to speak to MoonClan apprentices that way. Slatepaw had watched the entire exchange take place with Brokenclaw and Harewhisker getting into a rather heartened argument that resulted in Brokenclaw unsheathed it claws.

It wasn't stopped until Stormheart stepped in and separated the two toms. From what Slatepaw had been told about the visit to MoonClan's camp, Shadowstar had refused to take any of the blame for the actions of his apprentices and warrior even though MoonClan's apprentice had been acting foolishly and Brokenclaw was the one to show his claws in the first place.

Slatepaw had always been lead to believe that MoonClan cats were peaceful, but clearly they were nothing but a bunch of pretentious warriors who claimed to be peaceful to get away with being disrespectful of the other Clans.

"While we don't share a border with MoonClan, I've been sending patrols to their river border just to make certain that MoonClan isn't going to attempt anything and sure enough Stormheart's patrol scented strong MoonClan scent markers outside of their dedicated territory. I instructed the next patrol to cover the scent line. I know a challenge when I see one, and if Shadowstar thinks that AshClan will back down from a challenge they are sorely mistaken."

Slatepaw stared at the AshClan leader, it was clear to any AshClan cat that MoonClan was pushing them, it was as a clear as day. "What do you plan to do, Riverstar?" The voice came from Hailfeather.

"I have taken time to weigh my options," Riverstar responded. "And I did not consider them alone. I have been discussing the situation with not only Stormheart, but my senior warriors as well including Harewhisker, Silvermoon, Nightheart and Lilyclaw as well as our medicine cat so I could make the decision that benefits our Clan the most." Every AshClan warrior waited with baited breath. "And together we came to the conclusion that we will lead an attack on MoonClan."

Slatepaw held his head high, his claws flexing into the stone floor beneath his paws. At long last, a fight. What warriors were truly meant to do. "As I promised the warriors I have spoke to, this battle will not be one to kill. We are not here to kill any MoonClan warriors. We will attack their warriors, leave them wounded and retreat. I will be sure to send a message directly to Shadowstar, so he understands that AshClan will not be taken advantage of, AshClan will not be threatened, AshClan will not be disrespected without consequence."