Chapter one

48 hours early
Cordell tried his best to ignore his face that his phone kept ringing, he knew that it was most likely Felicia. But he couldn't be answering a call when he was about to confront Avis. So he placed it on silent and was disturbed by how quiet the station was. It was almost like no one was around which was a contrat to how much noise he heard when Liam called him. Realizing that this most likely a trap, Cordell reached into his pocket to take out his gun.

He continued to walk down the hallway and came across the darkened office of James, where Avis was sitting. The blonde haired man turned around in the chair and adjusted his business suit. "Cordell Walker I see you got my call," He said. His thick British accent made Cordell's blood boil, "If you're looking for your brother he's not here, he's safely at home with your family."
"What the hell are you playing at Avis?" Cordell asked. So far the man had been playing them like fools, and hadn't revealed what he even wanted.
"You really haven't figured that out?" Avis asked. He stood up so he could look Cordell in the eyes, and despite the height difference, Cordell suddenly felt very small.

Avis had this look in his eyes that was stern and unforgiving, it was like looking into the eyes of the snake. "You must not be using your ranger brain, if you haven't figured out what I want," Avis said. "It really is too bad I was hoping that you wouldn't side with Felicia." Those words somehow freed Cordell from his speechless state and the ranger loaded his gun.
"I know all about what you've done to her, and if you don't want me to kill you right now, you will leave her alone!" Cordell threatened. Avis looked at him and pushed his arm away while shaking his head.

"That's sounds a little dark for you ranger," Avis said. "And enough people already think you've lost your mind," he continued. "Imagine the headline when someone finds an important man dead in your headquarters," he kept going and turned his back on Cordell. "That definitely won't look good on you, and I'd hate to think about what would happen to your family."
"What do you want?" Cordell asked putting his gun away but keeping his grip on it. Avis smiled and said that it was something he had wanted for a long time.

"Oh Walker someone very dear to me was stolen a long time ago, a beautiful girl who I loved more than anything," Avis explained. "She never noticed me but I loved her," he continued. Cordell stiffened a bit realizing that these words sounded familiar, and seeing Avis up close like this, unlike last time something about him seemed familiar. "Tell me Walker do you know how that feels?" Avis asked. Cordell didn't answer and glanced deeper at Avis trying to remember where he had seen him. Those cold blue eyes watched him like a hawk waiting for him to make any sudden movements. "To have someone unfairly taken from you?" Of course he knew that feeling, he probably understood it better than anybody. He lost his first daughter in only a day, lost his wife not long ago, and many friends.

It brought back a ton of unpleasant memories so Cordell screamed at the top of lungs to hold back his pain.
"I don't have time for this, so I should just arrest you right now!" Cordell exclaimed.
"For what hurting your feelings?" Avis asked. "I know that you have the drive, I also know that you've been conspiring with a criminal instead of locking her up," he continued. "All this evidence puts you in a tight spot ranger, they'll have your badge for this," Even when he was being threatened, Avis never lost his cool which made Cordell realize how dangerous he was. Most people would flee at the sight of a Texas ranger or at least put up a fight, Avis simply watched like a spider waiting to trap him. "This has never been about Felicia and her little black cat act, its all about been about you."

"What?" Cordell asked in shock. Avis sat back down in James's chair letting his words sink in. "You work for the North Side nation, I saw the list." Avis laughed.
"Oh did you?" He asked. "Spoiler alert I created the list to keep track of possible targets, most of them being close with you," he continued. "But don't mistake me for Stan Walker, I work alone."
"You expect me to believe that?" Cordell asked. Avis didn't answer him not giving Cordell much of a choice. "Fine what did I do to you? You've clearly been trying to get my attention and won't let me see what you're up to." Avis scoffed and finally spoke up.

"I think you know, does the name Adrian Smith mean anything to you?" Avis asked. Cordell stopped in his tracks recognizing the name as a kid he went to high school with, he was a loner and never talked with anyone. His only friend appeared to be the pictures he drew during class, Cordell regrets never talking to him, but back then it was due to his jealousy. Adrian was basically obsessed with Emily, always trying to charm him by leaving her flowers on her locker. Cordell didn't like that at all but never confronted the kid on it, because Emily had no idea the kid existed. She never even got his name right, usually calling him Austin. Adrian pretty much disappeared before graduation due to a rumored episode of insanity. But Cordell never got confirmation and forget all about the guy as years went by.

What he didn't understand was why Avis would even ask, unless.
"Wait no you can't be." Cordell said slowing the pieces together.
"For once I can see the wheels in your head turning," Avis said. "That's right Cordell, it's been a long time I was hoping you would recognize me sooner," he continued. "You stole the love of my life, so I stole something from you." Cordell became furious thinking that Avis meant he had a part in Emily's death. He pushed Avis against the wall forgetting that the man had already said he had no ties to North side nation.
"So you killed her!?" Cordell exclaimed.
"Oh no I didn't that was all Stan," Avis responded. "I never would have done that to Lilly so I took something else from you, your daughter."