Chapter four

Liam wasn't expecting anyone to knock on his door, especially early in the morning. Confused he ignored the sound and assisted his parents while they made breakfast. Someone knocked on the door again and Liam groaned wondering who in their right mind would be bothering them right now.
"Yeah I can hear you," Liam said. "I swear though if you're another telegram I'm going to consider moving again." He grumbled his voice still horse with sleep, he opened the door and saw three unfamiliar standing there.

A young woman with long bushy black hair and dark skin, a young man with the same skintone with messy hair sitting in an wheelchair, and a three year old that looked exactly like Felicia.
"Hi you don't know us but we're Felicia's friends," Jessy explained. "She went after Cordell he was walking into a trap and she sent us here." Liam froze mainly because he had never seen these people in his life. So he didn't feel comfortable just inviting them inside, but also he wanted to know about the trap his brother was walking into.
"Who are you?" Liam asked.
"Sorry sir I'm Jake and that's my sister Jessy," Jake answered. "Felicia gave me the drive so that I could see what was on it."

"You're her hacker friend," Liam answered. He thought about everything that could be hiding in that drive and realized that if they were on the run. Avis couldn't be far behind which meant that a ton of people including his brother's and maybe his family was in danger. He let them in and the two sat down while Asher ran around much to the surprise of Liam's parents. "Where did my brother go?" Liam asked.

***

After four and half hours of waiting, more tests, and being checked with medical equipment. Felicia was grateful when all of her tests were done, she had never been a fan of hospitals and was hoping she could leave to go see her son.
"Alright your vitals seem fine but I want to keep you overnight for observation just in case something happens," the nurse said writing something down on a piece of paper. "I'm still going to prescribe a pain killers and sleeping pills for you, I'm also going to give you some recommend options for gaining some weight," she continued. "You're about 30 pounds lighter than for someone of your age  so eat five to six small meals instead of three large ones," she kept going. "I'm also going to give you the number to a therapist, I've noticed you suffering from ptsd."

Felicia didn't know how she was going to afford all that when she didn't have any money. However before she could say anything someone cleared their throat and Felicia saw it was Cordell. The nurse scolded him for being out of his room without approval but the ranger remarked that he suffered worse injuries.
"But you should be resting!" The nurse exclaimed. "I could lose my job if you don't..."
"Amy," Felicia spoke up. "It's okay he can stay, I wanted to see him anywhere." Amy sighed and told Felicia that she would come back later to discuss different treatment options. Amy left after that with her nose in the air showing that could be unapologetic snobbish about her job.

"Are you okay?" Cordell asked.
"Well I'm not dead," Felicia answered sitting up slowly. "Which is more than what I can see for how I felt when I got here," she continued. "Has anyone called you?" She wanted to know if her friends and son were safe, more than that she wanted to see them instead spending the night in a hospital.
"Liam called me about three strange people showing up at the door but now they're inside with my family," Cordell answered. His expression was a bit stern and she sank a little bit like she was a child about to get punished. "I'm not angry Felicia I just wish you had told me before sending them to my home without my permission."

"I'm sorry Walker but I didn't know what to do," Felicia answered. "You were in trouble and I knew if I left that I would them vulnerable," she continued hanging her head in shame. "And I couldn't do that to my son, or to my friends especially when you were in danger already." Cordell couldn't help but stare at her, it sounded like something he would say. She didn't care about what happened to her just about those she cared about, he shook his head realizing she was too selfless for her own good.
"I appreciate that kiddo but it's not your job to come save me," Cordell responded. "Its my job to look after you."

"Again I'm not a kid anymore." Felicia said. While she loved his caring nature she couldn't let him become so worried about her that he forgot his own children. It was a ridiculous thing to think but he seemed to be spending a lot of time with her lately.
"You're a kid Felicia and so help me you're my kid," Cordell declared. He decided in that moment he didn't care if he was wrong anymore, related by blood or not Felicia was his daughter and he was going to take care of her.

She blinked completely speechless at his words and thought back to what Geri had been discussing with the doctors earlier. Who exactly did Geri think she was? Cordell's ward? Maybe that was what she basically was considering what Liam had told her a few days ago. A bunch of other thoughts flooded her mind and she pressed her hands to head trying to stop the pain. "Are you alright?" Cordell asked.
"Sorry headache I've been getting them a bit," Felicia answered. "The doctors said that I'll be having headaches and sleeping spells from my head injury," she continued sighing as she remembered all the medicine she was going to need. "I haven't felt like this since I found out I had a tumor, I feel so alone."

"Hey don't talk like that okay," Cordell said, he couldn't hug her because he was worried he might injury her more. But no way was he going to let her think that she was facing this alone. He wasn't going to let her suffer and once he paid for everything she needed, he was following through with the plan he was years ago. He was taking her home and adopting her, she was a bit old for it but he didn't care.
"I'll be with you the whole time and you won't be alone, you'll be out of here before you know it."

***

Miles got out of the damaged car and tore through the wreckage looking for Avis. It took an eternity but he managed to spot his boss, his face was scarred from the accident and it looked like his back was broken. But even so Miles picked up Avis and carried him out of the truck.
"I won't let them kill you sir." Miles said.