Chapter three

Cordell woke up with cuffs on his hands, his whole body ached and he heard the noise of a car skidding across the road. After the truck stopped suddenly and he was knocked over making his restraints loosen. Realizing that he had to take this chance to not only get away but to make sure whoever was hit was alright. Cordell heard the sounds of Miles swearing in the front seat along with the sight of Avis knocked out.

"Serves you right you son of a bitch," Cordell said through gritted teeth. He banged the handcuffs against the door of the truck until the snapped allowing him to push the door open. The task caused more pain and his face burned with infection from the cuts, he stopped in the middle of the street almost passing out. Focus pain is only in the mind he told himself, his injuries could wait until he saved whoever was hit. Hopefully it wasn't some family or elder, he would never forgive himself if the crash had killed them. Spotting the damaged car he ran over to the best of his ability, the sight of Felicia with her head bleeding sitting there unconscious paralyzed him. "Oh my god Felicia!" He exclaimed. Forgetting his own injuries he broke the window and began shaking her.

She had a pulse so she was still alive but Cordell was still horrified, what was she thinking? Was she trying to come rescue him? After shaking her three times she woke up briefly and looked around fearfully realizing what had happened. "Hey don't fall asleep on me, I'm going get you out," Cordell assured her. He still has cuts on his face and Felicia remembered that how he got them. She burst into tears overwhelmed by the situation and the uncertain future. Cordell grabbed what was left of the car door and picked her up in his arms. "It's alright kiddo I gotcha." She cried into his chest before passing out a second time. His muscles freezed up from the sudden light weight in his arms. They screamed at him telling him that he wouldn't be able to carry her for long.

His body turned out to be right as he almost passed out himself after walking about fifteen feet. Not wanting to risk the chance of injuring either of them any further, he picked up the pace and started running. It wasn't the best choice but he couldn't just sit down and wait for someone to help them, and his phone had been crushed so he couldn't call anyone. It was pure agony until his fight or flight instinct kicked in and his pain briefly vanished. He managed to reach a nearby hospital where he gently laid Felicia down before his own injuries took him causing him to black out. Nearby Geri had parked her car, she had gotten a call from the hospital that her sister had fell down the stairs so she came to see her. Geri didn't really like Denise but she at least wanted to stay on the DA's good side. While she was walking she spotted the two unconscious figures by the entrance and raced inside the hospital screaming for help.

***

A bunch of white lights were being shown in her face as she rushed to an emergency room. Felicia looked around dazed wondering if she was still dreaming, she saw Geri talking with one of the doctors pushing her hospital bed.
"Do you have any idea what could have happened?" A doctor asked.
"I don't know I found them both this way, I think it might have been a car accident." Geri responded. Felicia could see them talk some more but she wasn't able to hear what they were saying, she was too worried about what was going to happen. Was this how she was going to die and how had hit her?

She was pushed into an emergency room and the doctors checked her vitals along with any signs of internal bleeding. Felicia didn't like all the needles and machines poking her, but the pain medicine they gave her made her feel a lot better.
"She's very lucky that you found her ma'am, she might not be alive if you hadn't," The doctor responded. "Going by my scans no major injuries inside but her head injury concerns me," he continued. "We can treat it to the best of our ability but it's going to cause sleeping spells and other unpredictable things," he kept going. "Do you know where her guardian is?"

Geri freezed up and Felicia was wondering if she was hearing everything right. A head injury could cause a ton of things, was she going to lose her memory? She panicked a bit and Geri realizing this placed a hand on her shoulder. It was comforting, like a mother's touch so Felicia relaxed drifting in and out of conscious.
"Well I don't know for sure but I would say the man I found her with would be the one to talk with," Geri responded. She had a theory about who Felicia really was after getting a look at her and seeing a mirror image of Emily save for the eyes, which resembled Cordell's hazel color. "He's her father." The doctors said they would have to do a blood test on both of them to confirm her words, along with checking them for anything else. Felicia wondered what Geri was up to but the pain killers made her all loupy and she began thinking about lollipops and candy canes.

***

The test was going to take awhile so Geri left Felicia's room to go check on Cordell. Unlike Felicia he was wide awake and was being treated for a sprained wrist, concussion, and a few broken rips. She watched as Cordell flinched at being touched and wondered what had happened.
"You should give your body time to heal Walker, it looks like you were pushed through a wall." The doctor told him.
"Well its a little more complicated then that." he answered and stared at the doctor with unblinking eyes. Maybe it was the morphine getting to him, but he swore this doctor looked familiar. But who knows he couldn't even recognize Avis until their third encounter and he saw a lot of people. Still after learning what he just did not even hours ago he was being cautious.

"I'll prescripe you some things to help with the pain, keep your wrist rested, and I'll need to clean the cuts on your face, it looks like they've been infected." The doctor responded. Geri cleared her throat wondering if she could have a moment alone with Cordell. The doctor didn't like it but Cordell said he had worse injuries so the doctor gave them ten minutes.
"That was reckless even for you," Geri said approaching his bed. "You really need to take it easy Cordie."
"I'll rest when this is all solved," Cordell responded. He grabbed Geri's hand with his good wrist wanting to thank her for what she did. "Thank you for your incredibly timing." She laughed a bit glad to see his humor was intacted.

"If you think that's impressive," Geri answered. " I should give you a medal for carrying her all the way here, what happened to you guys?" She asked. Cordell explained everything from what happened with Avis to how the man was an old classmate of there's. Geri was shocked that Avis had been that introvert blonde kid who never talked, but it supported her theory on who Felicia really was. "Cordie I've been thinking about Felicia."
"Is she alright?" He asked worried he was about to hear bad news. Geri nodded reassuring him that Felicia was alright, despite the head injury which Cordell wasn't pleased about.
"I mean I think I might know who she really is, and I think you might know as well." Geri responded.

Cordell didn't need her to say more because he already knew what she was trying to say but it couldn't be true. After everything Avis had lied about, he was just supposed to believe that the man disguised himself as a doctor and stole his infant daughter twenty years ago.
"She's Ashyla or was that's what Avis told me," Cordell said. "He didn't directly tell me but I put the pieces together when Felicia ditched her black cat act."
"You don't sound convinced." Geri said gripping his hand tighter.
"Because I don't want to end up being wrong."