chapter ten

f1's week off was slowly coming to an end and the gaslys were less than excited to get back to racing. both juliet and pierre had realized how much they missed home. over the past few days, they'd spent time with their parents, cousins, friends, and of course charles. he'd been basically an adopted gasly for the past five days.

juliet was out on the streets of rouen, following up with lola after seeing her in london. they'd planned to go out to dinner at the restaurant they'd gone to almost every friday night in high school. juliet entered la pêcherie and spotted lola at a window booth. they greeted one another and started scanning the menu, finally deciding on some seafood dishes.

"so, are you back for the summer or?" lola asked juliet as she handed her menu to the waiter.

"we leave again on tuesday to head to germany," juliet sighed, "but it's been very very nice to be back. and pierre and i have been able to play tourist for his friend that's staying with us."

"oh, someone from f1?" the blonde girl asked. "yeah, his name's charles," juliet answered.

"as in charles, charles?" lola suggested, and a light went off in juliet's head. lola had been present for juliet's stupid childhood crush on charles. from karting. juliet nodded and sipped her drink, trying to end the subject.

"the one you were head over heels in love with from ages nine to fifteen?" she continued and juliet blushed in embarrassment. "yes lola, yes," she sighed.

"did you ever follow through on that?"

juliet's heart raced at the thought of dating charles. of being his girlfriend. of kissing him, and going on trips with him, and just being with him. "uh, no." juliet said and swallowed her thoughts on how things had been different between them lately. of how there had seemed to be some sort of spark.

———

        juliet unlocked her door and walked into the surprisingly quiet house. whenever pierre and her parents were home, the house was loud. But juliet couldn't hear a peep.

she walked through the main floor, looking for her family in every area. she searched the kitchen, living room, dining room, backyard, and basement before she trotted up the stairs to continue looking. she pushed open doors all the way down the hallway until she saw a figure on the balcony. 

charles sat on the couch outside his guest bedroom, seemingly either staring at his phone or watching the sunset. juliet quietly walked into his room, trying not to scare him. she looked at his stuff and noticed his half made bed, half packed suitcase, and clothes crumpled up on a chair. she reached the doorframe and knocked it gently.

"hey," she breathed and he turned around. that face. he smiled and Juliet continued. "have you seen pierre or my parents?"

"they went to your grandparents house...i was out on a run when they left but pierre texted me," charles explained. juliet nodded and turned around. "okay, thanks," she began to walk away but was cut off by the monégasque.

"wait—you should stay," he said and matched her gaze, "wouldn't want to watch the sunset alone." juliet gulped and inched closer to the couch, placing her purse down and sitting beside him. the truth was that charles just wanted to spend time with a not completely drunk juliet gasly.

"where are you coming from?" charles noticed her purse and semi-formal outfit. she looked beautiful. hell, she always looked beautiful.

"dinner with a friend from school. lola," juliet replied, looking down at her hands, "actually, you may know her. she apparently met you a few times, when you were karting with pierre."

charles raised his eyebrows and shrugged, telling juliet he didn't remember her. "those were the days," he sighed, thinking back to when racing was just for fun.

"yeah, i miss being young," juliet hummed. she hesitated to continue for a few seconds, but decided that she might as well just air it out. "don't tell pierre, but i think i was basically in love with you when i first met you."

charles froze at her words and his heart started racing. "even with my justin bieber haircut?" he dryly chuckled. "even with your justin Bieber haircut," she breathed in agreement with him.

juliet was suddenly overcame by a wave of vulnerability and decided that it'd be best to just shut up and forget about what she'd just said. she directed her gaze forward to the sunset, not making even the slightest bit of eye contact with the boy next to her. but she of course felt his constant stare at her.

charles watched the girl's mood change as she stared forward and ignored him. she probably wanted me to say something more, he thought. he tried for a split second to do the same and stare at the sunset, but he just couldn't keep his eyes off her. he sheepishly smiled looking at her and the thought that she really liked him. but was that still the case?

after a few minutes tolerating his gaze, Juliet turned her head to face him. "what? i can feel you staring at me," she muttered softly and found him hiding his smile.

their eyes finally met and charles couldn't hide it anymore. his lips lifted into a smile and they just looked at each other. when his eyes travelled down to look at her lips, juliet knew what was going to happen. and for the sake of pierre, she knew she needed to try and stop it from happening.

"charles..." she dragged out softly and looked in his eyes, but his stayed locked on her lips. he had no response. he wanted this to happen. "you're pierre's best friend."

"and you're pierre's little sister," he breathed out, and started leaning his head towards the girl.

before his lips could reach hers, juliet heard the front door unlock and open. she heard one word from her brother's voice and whipped her head back. he could not walk in on this happening—let alone juliet and charles together alone. she grabbed her purse and stood up, quietly running to her room.

she shut her door and leaned against it, sighing at what had just gone on.

notes!
babies babies babies

also i just got my schedule
and i literally start work on
10-2 on friday to sunday
of THE FIRST WEEKEND
BACK FROM SUMMER BREAK