chapter thirty-eight

"good afternoon everyone, hello and welcome back to live coverage from interlagos ahead of what could be an incredibly tight qualifying session here in sao paulo!" juliet listened to the voice of david croft on the tv.

races in são paulo had always been one of pierre's favourites any season. the city came alive for its european visitors, and every driver loved the support they felt when racing in brazil.

juliet and victoria sat in lando's driver room, as they decided to watch qualifying outside of the garage because quite frankly, it got too chaotic sometimes.

after an oil leak in austin, charles needed new parts on his car...meaning he'd have a ten place grid drop for the race. today, all he had to do was get as far up on the leaderboard he could.

so she was really cheering for pierre and lando, both who had the genuine chance of starting in the top 10 on sunday.

it was the middle of q2 and pierre, charles and lando were all putting in decent lap times. the ferrari stayed close to the top of the leaderboard while pierre fought with lando's mclaren for some of the final spots for q3.

the checkered flag flew for the session, and lando had just missed out. pierre and charles were still in for q3, putting juliet on the edge of her seat.

the session went by in a blur. max verstappen set the quickest lap early on and it was up to ferrari and mercedes to try and catch up. ferrari managed to qualify with sebastian in p2 and charles in p4, meaning he'd only drop to p14 for the race. pierre was p6, a position he'd surely be content with.

victoria and juliet stayed in lando's room and hung out for a bit, knowing the boys took quite a while before they could have free time at the circuit or go home.

the two girls were mid conversation when they heard a knock on the door. "come in!" victoria replied, and the door opened to reveal lando.

"hey guys," he walked in, placing down his stuff and immediately walking over to victoria, pulling her into a hug and pecking her lips.

"why'd you knock on your own door, lan?" vic smiled as he pulled away, her arms still around his neck.

"yeah, pretty weird norris," juliet budded in sarcastically. "and you guys are cute but please stop standing like that, it makes me sick."

"like you and charles are any less affectionate," lando quipped, "french people are weird."

"hey!" juliet chuckled and wanted to argue back, but she felt her phone buzz in her pocket.

she saw charles' name across the screen and swiped to answer the call. "hi cherie," she spoke into the phone.

"exhibit a," lando mumbled for victoria to hear, ending in her slapping his arm.

"juli, why aren't you in my room?" he asked.

"oh yes, forgot to tell you," she thought back, "i came with victoria to lando's room. come to mclaren?"

"oui, i'm on my way," charles smiled, ending the call.

juliet looked back to see victoria and lando now sitting together on the couch. she grabbed her bag and drink and packed up, looking to the couple. "charles is gonna meet me outside now, you guys are free to come if you want."

"i want to personally kick charles off of mclaren property, actually," lando smirked, pulling victoria's hand to stand her up.

juliet and the couple walked out of lando's driver room and out to the back of the mclaren motor home, where they noticed charles talking to a girl.