Vol. 1: Rise in Popularity

Horikita POV

I came to this school for one reason, and that is to follow the footsteps of my older brother whom I look up to above everyone else. He's the kind of person that I aspire to be, and I have worked hard to be someone he can be proud of.

I have aced every test given to me and I have passed every challenge I was put into in my old school. There's no doubt that I can do the same here.

I haven't seen my brother in over two years now, but I look forward to reuniting with him very soon. I'll climb to the very top of this school and earn his acknowledgement, no matter what!

During my bus ride to the school, I was simply reading in peace. But midway through the journey, a minor inconvenience in the form of a dispute over a simple seat happened. I ignored the matter as I always do for what happens around me, but then I noticed that someone was staring at me for some unknown reason.

From his uniform, he was a fellow student of ANHS like me. He had brown hair, brown eyes, and an unconcerned look on his face. He quickly looked away when I sent him a glare, but it doesn't answer why he was staring at me.

Doesn't he know that staring is rude? Especially towards strangers?

And now, that same boy is standing in front of me after I called for him to stop in his tracks.

Suzune: Why were you staring at me earlier?

Like before, he only stared at me for a while, but I'll let this slide. I want to know why he was staring at me. Does he want to tell me something?

???: ......because you were beautiful and I couldn't help it.

.

.

.

.

.

.

Suzune: What...?

???: What?

Did I hear him right? Or were my ears simply playing tricks on me?

Suzune: You... w-what did you just say?

???: I was staring at you because you were beautiful and I couldn't help it.

.

.

.

Suzune: I-

I tried to get something out of my mouth, but I was too overwhelmed to say anything. My whole face had even gone red to the point that I wanted to hide my face from him, but my pride didn't allow such a thing.

I pursed my lips together to try and stay composed like I've always done, but it's no use. My face getting even hotter, and I was no stranger to this feeling....

Why am I getting flustered from what he said?! I'm already used to compliments from other people. Many students and teachers have praised me in the past, whether it's for my abilities or my appearance, so why does he have this effect on me?!

Ayanokouji POV

Okay, it doesn't seem like she's angry with me after what I just said. Crisis averted, but now a new one has begun.

This time, she's blushing hard and she had her head down because of what I said, which made me worried. I know that giving a girl a compliment will make her flustered, but it wasn't my intention to make her unable to speak.

Kiyo: I'm sorry, was I going too far? I apologize if I made you uncomfortable.

I waited for her to give an answer, but she couldn't get anything out at first. Things between us were quiet for a while until she finally spoke