Vol. 1: Friendship

Ayanokouji POV

Normally, I would spend the weekend reading novels in peace, but today was a special case.

Yesterday, Kushida asked Horikita if she was free to have a little appointment with her at Pallet Cafe. At first, Horikita tried to ignore her but thanks to my intervention, she was convinced to give Kushida a chance and they agreed to meet today for a cup of coffee.

Hmm, I don't know if I can call it a date since there's no romantic intentions behind Kushida's words, but let's just say it's a 'friendly' one.

Anyway, I wasn't supposed to be a part of this originally. I was willing to leave those two alone for the sake of Horikita making a new friend, but Kushida convinced me that I should be there as well. Not to ruin what was supposed to be a get-together with another person, but to keep Horikita at ease with my presence.

Well, knowing Horikita so far, there's definitely a possibility of this meeting going horribly wrong for some reason. For Kushida's sake, I guess it is better if I'm there with them to make sure Horikita doesn't do anything to mess it up.

And so, here I am, waiting at a table in Pallet Cafe for both of them to arrive.

Yes, neither of them were here yet because I arrived about fifteen minutes before 3:00 PM, the time that Kushida and Horikita agreed on. I made sure to get here earlier than them because it's supposedly bad manners for a man to arrive later than a woman, but who knows?

Kushida: Ayanokouji-kun! You're early!

Upon hearing that familiar voice, I turned my head to see a beige-haired individual walking towards the table where I am. She wore a brown over a green shirt, a pair of shorts, and brown sneakers. If she didn't look cute before, then she definitely looked that way now.

Kiyo: Good afternoon, Kushida.

Kushida stood before me and smiled for a moment, before she took her seat.

Kushida: Did I make you wait too long? I'm sorry if I did.

Kiyo: You didn't. I only arrived a few minutes ago.

She began to giggle, as she covered her mouth to try and hide it.

Kushida: Well, you won't be alone anymore, because I'm here now. Have you ordered something yet?

Kiyo: No. I thought it would be rude if I ate something before you two.

Kushida: Ah, I see! Then let's wait for Horikita-san, shall we?

I gave her a nod. I have no problem with that. After all, I'm only here to act as a mediator in case things go wrong. As far as I'm concerned, this is a meeting between Horikita and Kushida. I'm not part of it, I'm only here to observe and intervene if necessary.

Kushida: While we're alone, do you mind if I ask you something, Ayanokouji-kun?

Kiyo: As long as it's within my ability to answer.

Kushida stared at me for a moment, adopting a thinking pose while I thought about what she would ask me.

Kushida: Has your face always been that way? It's just strange that I've never seen you smile, sad, or even angry.

I'm not surprised that she chose to ask about that, of all things.

Kiyo: You could say that. While I do feel different emotions, I can't properly show them through my facial expressions. Although, I'm trying my best to learn how. I still have a long way to go.

Kushida: Are you like that because of an illness that you have? No offense, but it makes you look like a robot.

An illness? I suppose I can consider that place as one, because I was unwillingly subjected to it when I was a child. It's also fair to say that I have never recovered from it as well.