Vol. 1: A Talk with Horikita

3rd Person POV

While Ayanokouji had his attention to his heater, he was actually waiting for Horikita to say something. He already figured that she was going to talk to him about the S-System, which was why she wanted this discussion to be private.

Suzune: Regarding Chabashira-sensei's words..... on how students are judged when they get sorted into their classes, do you really think that interacting with other people is considered one of the factors that affect your placement?

Kiyotaka took a moment to consider what she asked him. It was clear to him that Suzune was still struggling to believe that her placement in Class D wasn't a joke.

Kiyo: Of course. If it wasn't and it was based on pure academic and physical ability alone, I would probably be put in Class A instead. However, my inexperience in socializing people was enough for me to be considered a defect in the eyes of the school.

Suzune: Aren't you affected by being called a defect, then? Doesn't it bother you to be called that way?

He shook his head.

Kiyo: It doesn't really matter. Now that we know that the class standings can change, we'll just have to beat the other classes in number of points. Once that happens, we won't be the ones who'll be called defects anymore.

Pouring in hot water into one of the ramen cups that he bought, Kiyotaka then carried it to the table along with a pair of chopsticks before sitting down, and now the two were sitting before one another.

Kiyo: Why were you asking me this?

Suzune: It's just that..... I can't believe that talking and interacting with other people is something that's being judged in this school.

The young man stared at her for a brief moment.

Kiyo: From your words alone, I can tell that you're someone who prefers to be alone. Am I wrong?

Suzune: You're not. I do prefer to be alone.

After uttering his praise for the food, Kiyotaka began to eat while quickly thinking of what to tell the girl. He knew that in order to make Suzune into a more capable student, she would have to be more

They were almost a complete parallel of the other. The two were loners before this, only being different in their reasons why.

While he was alone because he didn't know how to interact with new people even though he desired to have friends, it appears that Horikita was the complete opposite. She didn't want to make friends at all.

Kiyo: Then I want you to think about this. A company owner wouldn't want to employ someone who can't work with others, no matter how capable they are. He'll choose someone who can connect and work with the people around him in order to fulfill their task. This is also why team-building exercises exist, in order to develop teamwork and cooperation between members.

Suzune: I....

Kiyotaka was surprised that she was convinced rather easily. If anything, he was somehow expecting her to remain stubborn to the point that they would have an argument on who is right. Perhaps Chabashira-sensei softened her up for him.

Kiyo: Horikita, I'm sure that you're smart, but don't tell me you're naive. Surely you're not thinking that you're the most intelligent student in the campus, right? If all the students are judged based on the five factors that sensei brought up earlier, it means that there a lot of students who are just as smart and capable as you, while also being able to work well with others.

Suzune: I can't believe it, but.... Ayanokouji-kun makes a good point. I heard from some upperclassmen at the cafeteria that Nii-san is the current student council president this year. When I asked them what class did he belong to, they told me he was a student of Class A and he was their leader.