- What Makes an Immortal -

Summary: Milo developed a hyper fixation on the short lives of humans and how, despite knowing they'll die, live life anyway. This all culminates in Milo forcing their boyfriend to watch your typical romcom that causes quite a stir in their lives. 

It was unusual for the monster world to intercept with the human world; but whenever it did you it most likely meant a tragedy took place. The most common occasion causing the worlds to collide is someone's death, because once a human dies their soul passes over to their choice of afterlife.

How are they supposed to find their afterlife? Well, from a grim reaper showing up to their corpse and taking their soul of course!

That's what Milo has done for centuries; taking soul by soul, forced to listen to the silly mortal stories. Some regaled the tale of how they fought in many wars and lost a limb or whatever. Milo chose to not listen to those stories; the stories that Milo was intrigued by were the short, simple ones.

It could be a soul talking about how they had an obsession with furbies or maybe talking about how they were a small musician that dreamed of making it big before their demise. Those souls Milo enjoyed being around the most, but the reaper couldn't help but question them on their strange interests and hobbies.

Why care about making music when you only can express, on average, 79.05 years of your life through the art form? After thousands of years of avoiding the question, Milo cracked and did something a grim reaper should never do, be curious.

They started asking questions to the souls about humanity and their outlook on death. They questioned souls about passions, sacrifices, life-long love, grief, and all the other things that confused the reaper. Slowly but surely, Milo actually started respecting mortals.

Believe it or not, they were actually excited to talk with souls when they reaped them, at least the interesting ones.

This was all a domino effect leading to the most recent soul Milo reaped, which was a small director. Milo listened with interest as the director told them about the films she produced and how she believed movies were the most expressive way to portray people.

"Movies are one of the greatest insights into humanity." The director starts while Milo searches for her soul contract on their phone. "Movies, despite not becoming the main character like in books, still make you feel the emotional story the characters go through. You could watch characters learn how to cope with deep rooted trauma or a teenage girl falling hopelessly in love with the boy next door."

That caught Milo's attention, despite being in a relationship with the love of their immortal life Oz, they could never understand the point of mortal relationships. Oz was immortal as well; Milo wouldn't know what they would do if they only had around 80 years to be with Oz.

What a sad existence to live, only having a set amount of years before you and your love are going to, most likely, be separated for the rest of your afterlives. That's why Milo couldn't understand, because they were immortal.

The words of the passionate director stuck in Milo's mind for the rest of the day, refusing to leave their mind. By the time they got home to Oz and their apartment, they immediately pulled out their phone and ignored the thousands of notifications to look up the best human romance movies.

That's when the reaper fell down a rabbit hole of reviews on various romantic movies. Some people complained that a movie was too unrealistic or just envied the love interests to the point of writing books and shipping themselves with a character... how odd.

By the time Oz returned from whatever he was doing, Milo jumped at the opportunity of forcing him to watch most of the movies with them. Oz tried to decline at first, but then he saw the passion behind Milo's eyes over these stupid romcoms and couldn't say no. Before he knew it, they were both on the couch about to start a movie Milo found somewhere on the internet.