Chapter 11 ~ Pep Talk

The warm sunlight mixed with the yellowy lamps of the library created a homey feeling. It was nice to be in a spot where I felt so safe , and beside me, someone I always felt safe with.

I sighed, hoisting myself up on the sill beside Erik, looking down at my legs dangling off the edge.

"Do you think we're ready to take on Shaw? Do you think I'm ready?" I asked him, hoping for an honest answer.

He wrapped his arm around my back and pulled me closer to him.

"You, Kayla, are the strongest, most determined person I know." He told me. "You've worked so hard these past weeks, I've seen it first hand. I know you're ready."

I finally turned to meet his gaze, my head still low

"Do you really believe that?"

Erik laughed softly, placing his thumb on my chin and moving my face upwards. I felt my cheeks grow hot.

"I absolutely do believe it. Even if you don't."

"What are we going to do with Shaw once we get him? He isn't safe to give to the CIA." I asked Erik.

Wrong move.

Erik's smile disappeared, and he took his hand away from my face. I wished I had just kept my mouth shut.

"I'll be honest with you. I'm going to kill him." He answered reluctantly.

At first, I was shocked to hear him say that. We were supposed to be the good guys, the heroes. Good guys don't kill people.

"Erik if you did that, you'd be a murderer.

"I already am." He sighed, picking the coin up again and gazing at it. "There's so much you don't know about me, Kayla."

"Then tell me." I asked him, laying a firm hand on his shoulder.

Erik sighed deeply. I watched his eyes soften.

"When I was a young boy, Sebastian Shaw told me to move this coin." He began, handing the coin to me.

I looked at it closely, noticing the swastika engraved on it.

"He gave me to the count of three, and if I didn't move it, he would kill my mother right in front of me." I looked up at him sympathetically. I could feel my eyes water up as I gave the coin back to him.

"I wasn't able to move the coin." Erik put it down beside him again. "He tortured me. Experimented on me. When I was freed, I knew I needed to kill him. I've been looking for him ever since."

"You were-"

"I know this probably changes how you look at me, but it's the truth." He interrupted, sliding off of the window sill and onto his feet again. "And I care about you, so I want you to know what you're getting yourself into."

He turned to step away from me, but I gripped his hand tightly, which seemed to catch him off-guard.

"It changes nothing." I told him. "In fact I've been keeping secrets of my own."

I realized I spoke without thinking. Now didn't feel like the time to confess my feelings in the slightest. I didn't feel ready. But it was digging at me.

"Erik I-" I started, but...

The lights flickered. I felt my face heat up like fire. Erik's eyes darted between me and the flashing lights of the library.

"Oh god uh... I really don't think right now-" The lights flickered faster, and Erik's soft blue eyes met mine. He smirked.

"You seem flustered..." He teased, grabbing my chin again. All at once my dream last night came flooding back into my mind.

I wanted him to kiss me. I wanted it so badly that every muscle in my body quivered at the thought of it. I felt that pit in my stomach clench up just like how it did that night. I just froze up, trying to contain myself.

"For this training exercise," he inched himself closer, standing between my legs. His thumb gently touched my bottom lip.

"Try not to cause a power outage."

The minute his lips touched mine, every lightbulb in the library shattered, the glass hitting the floor with a loud crash.

We separated as the sound made him turn suddenly, surveying the damage I just caused.

"Sorry."

Erik turned to face me again with a dumb but proud grin, placing his hands on my thighs and squeezing them.

"Don't be."

Our lips met, more passionately this time. It felt like it was my dream all over again. I just hoped I wasn't having another dream. I wrapped my legs tighter around his waist, pulling him in even deeper than before. His hands gripped my thighs somewhat roughly, but it didn't hurt me. I wasn't even paying attention to anything else but him and the knot in my stomach.

"What happened here?!" I heard a voice yell from the other end of the library. I immediately pushed Erik away in embarrassment when I recognized that voice.

It was Charles.

"I'm sorry, I'll fix it don't worry!" I yelped.

Erik turned to face Charles from over his shoulder.

"Just a last minute training lesson." He explained with a grin.

Charles looked between the two of us and sighed, rubbing the bridge of his nose in annoyance.

"Look that's all well and good, but can you please take your... "training" elsewhere."

I slid off the sill, my face bright red, and my legs a little wobbly. I hoped Charles wouldn't look at my thoughts. That was the last thing I wanted him to see.

"Do you... want help?" I asked Charles as Erik and I passed him.

"Don't worry about it." He sighed, looking at the shards of glass that lay on the floor.