Chapter 15 ~ A Day To Remember

1963

"Get up, today is an important day, Kayla." Erik shook my sleepy self awake. I rolled myself over and buried my face in my pillow.

"Whyyyy? What are we doing?" I groaned.

"We're going to see the President, remember?"

"Do we have to?"

"Technically no, but I'd like to." I rolled back over to face him as he laid beside me. He sighed. "If you don't want to come with me, you don't have to."

"I know, but then I'll be alone and I don't like being alone."

"I know you don't, love." He planted a soft kiss on my forehead. "So you better get ready."

Erik pulled himself up and stretched, running a hand through his hair. I just rubbed my eyes a bit. Eventually, we both managed to get out of bed in a somewhat timely manner.

"Should I try to look nice?" I asked Erik whilst going through my clothes.

"If you want to. Though you always look nice." He replied with a smile. He didn't see, but I felt my face turn red. Erik was already buttoning up his white shirt while I was still searching for something to wear.

"What about that one?" Erik pointed to a dress in the closet. I pulled it out and straightened it a bit. It was black with small white dots and a high waist.

"Last time you wore that one you looked absolutely beautiful." He said.
"But as I said, you always look beautiful..."

"You're really laying it on thick this morning, huh?" I teased him. He laughed.

"What? I'm not allowed to tell you how much I love you?"

"I love you too, Erik... more than anything." I kissed him lightly on the cheek before pulling the dress off its hanger.

~

I was glad Erik chose this dress. I felt like a million bucks and probably looked like it too. And he looked so handsome. It was as if we were the first couple and not the Kennedys. I decided on putting my hair in a half up half down kind of style since it was hotter than I expected it to be in November. But we were staying in Texas, right?

We decided to go to Dallas to see him since it was the closest place to where we were staying. We stood on the corner of Houston and Elm, waiting as patiently as we could to see the motorcade. It wasn't long until we heard the motorcycles in the distance. Almost immediately, Erik froze.

"Erik, are you okay?" I asked him, grabbing his hand.

"Something's not right."

"What do you mean?" Erik didn't respond. He turned around and stared at the building close behind us. He started walking towards it, still holding onto my hand.

I heard the motorcade started to come by and people started cheering. But Erik was somewhere else as he stood next to me.

"Erik, we're gonna miss them..." I reminded him, tugging him to come back into the crowd. He ignored me, slowly letting go of my hand.

"You go ahead, love. I need to-" he stopped suddenly, running to another nearby building. I was so confused. But I listened and walked back into the crowd.

I watched as President John F. Kennedy and his wife passed by in the open presidential limousine. I excitedly waved to them but turned when I heard a loud noise. It sounded like a gunshot. I turned quickly, assuming the worst had happened to Erik. I saw him a story or two up in a building, his hands outstretched and his face pale. I heard another gunshot. Then everyone around me started screaming and crying. I didn't really know what was happening at the time.

"Erik! What are you doing?!" I tried shouting up to him.
I watched in horror as two secret servicemen grabbed Erik from behind and pulled him around the corner where I couldn't see him. I was about to run after him when I heard a woman scream from the crowd.

"The President's been shot!" She shouted.

"Someone tried to assassinate JFK!"