Chapter 12 ~ Suiting Up

Charles stepped into the destroyed lab first, followed by Erik and me, and the rest.

"What the hell happened here?" Erik wondered out loud. There was a large metal chest at the back of the room with an X across the top in tape. Charles walked over and opened it, and we all followed him. Inside were 6 yellow and back suits.

"Hank has been busy." Erik stated.
"Do we really have to wear these?" Alex piped up.

"As none of us mutated to endure extreme g-force or being riddled by bullets, I suggest we suit up."

~

All of us were lined up in front of the jet, waiting for Hank. Erik and I stood beside each other. I was still a bit nervous. This was actually happening. Erik must've known something was wrong with me because I was silent, staring off into space. He didn't say anything. He just took my hand into his and held on tightly. His touch broke me from my anxious trance. I looked up at him, already feeling a little less scared.

"Where's Hank?" Raven asked.

"I'm here." We heard Hank's voice say. As he approached us, I knew something was off. And when he got closer I realized what it was. Hank was covered in dark blue hair, which contrasted greatly from his yellow suit.

"It didn't attack the cells, it enhanced them." He explained to us with a pained sigh. "It didn't work."

"Yes it did, Hank. Don't you see?" Raven took Hank by the face lovingly. "This is who you were meant to be. This is you."

"Never looked better man." Erik complimented, hitting him in the arm. I shot Erik a look, but before I could react, Hank grabbed him by the neck roughly. Immediately I panicked.

"Hank!" I yelped.

"Don't mock me!" Hank growled.

"Hank, put him down immediately, please." Charles tried to keep a low tone, but to no prevail. "Hank!"

Hank finally dropped Erik onto the concrete. His face was beet red and he was breathing heavily.

"I wasn't.." he tried to explain through his breaths. I let out a sigh of relief that Erik was okay, helping him to his feet.

"Even I gotta admit, you look pretty badass." Alex complimented, which was out of character for him. It must've been genuine. "I think I got a new name for you. Beast."

"You're sure you can fly this thing?" Sean asked, all of us looking the jet up and down.

"Of course I can. I designed it." Hank told us. He led us around the massive jet to its back end so we could enter. Inside there were 6 seats, 3 on each side, and 2 seats in the very front for Moira and Hank to pilot the aircraft. Moira was already inside, awaiting instructions.

"This is groovy." I said out loud, looking closely at the seats.

"Buckle up guys, it might get kinda bumpy. And put those headsets on." Hank told us, making his way to the front seat. I chose the first seat on the left, and Erik, of course, chose the one right next to me. He buckled himself in and I did the same. I watched everyone buckle into their seats and put on their headsets as the engines started up.

"We're ready for takeoff, Hank!" Charles called to the cockpit. Then we started moving slowly. I took a deep breath. Then another. As soon as we were off the ground, I tensed up. Erik instinctively grabbed my hand in his and squeezed. I let out the breath I was holding in.

"You alright Kayla?" I heard Charles ask from across from me.

"Yea, I'm okay!" I called, trying to calm down a bit. I wasn't scared of flying. It had just hit me that there was no going back from this point. I looked around at everyone on the plane until my eyes reached Erik.

I just looked at him for a few seconds, taking him in. Maybe seeing his confidence would instill confidence in me as well. It worked a little.

"When this is over, what's going to happen?" I asked Erik. Maybe I'd have something to look forward to.

"I'm not sure, but I know whatever ends up happening, I'm not leaving your side. I promise. Not ever." He told me, kissing the back of my hand.

There was a bit of silence. I closed my eyes and let my mind wander.

"It looks pretty messy out there." Hank stated, flying through a group of ships. Nobody said anything.

"The crew of the Aral Sea are all dead. Shaw's been there." Charles sighed.

"He's still here, somewhere." Erik replied, still holding onto my hand. Charles glanced over at Moira. "He set the ship on course for the embargo line."

"If that ship crosses the line, our boys are gonna blow it up." Moira explained. "And the war begins."

"Unless they're not our boys." Charles says, with the look he has when he gets an idea.

He took a deep breath, placing two fingers to his temple, and focused. All of us went silent. I watched Charles carefully. Quickly, the entire jet swerved on its side as a missile passed. Raven screeched. I all of a sudden froze. I didn't move and make any noise. It was like all of the muscles in my body were made of concrete. I gripped Erik's hand tightly, trying to control my breathing.

Soon, the jet was upside down.

"Hold on!" Charles yelped. Erik, still holding my hand, stretched his arm across my chest so I wouldn't fall out of my seat. I shut my eyes and clenched my teeth until they hurt, drowning out everything that was happening.

"Are you alright, Kayla?" Erik asked, worriedly. I opened my eyes and took a deep breath, finally loosening my grip on his hand. It was red from how hard I must've been holding it. I nodded, still breathing heavily, my ears ringing.

"I still can't locate Shaw!" Charles said.

"He's down there, we need to find him now!" Erik replied. "Hank?"

"Is there anything unusual on the radar or scanners?" Hank asked Moira.

"No, nothing."

"Well then he must be underwater, and obviously we don't have sonar."
Erik signed loudly, his soft eyes looking back over to me.

"Yes, we do." Sean told us. We all thought for a moment. Charles took off his headset.

"Yes, we do."