Chapter 33 ~ Taken

"Where did you-?" Hank began.

"I was looking for the professor, I thought he lived here." Peter explained, taking his goggles off. I sighed heavily knowing that everyone seemed to have avoided disaster. Some of the kids were coughing from the debris in the air.

"Thank you Peter..." I told him, fixing my hair from being blown in the wind.

"No problem- heyyy, I know you..."

Before I could reply, I saw all of the students eyes shift. I followed their gazes to Raven, who was no longer disguised.

"They look up to you." Hank said, looking over lovingly at Raven in her natural blue form. "Right now they need you."

Raven saw everyone's faces. They were bright, hopeful even. And they all had their eyes locked on her. She quickly changed back.

"That's not what they need."

The students turned when we heard the sound of a car. It was bright yellow, and riding in it were what looked like some other students. One of them was the blue boy I saw on my way inside. Another I recognized as Jean Grey, a student Charles had told me an awful lot about.

The car stopped on the side of the road and they all got out in a hurry, rushing over towards the crowd.

"What happened?!" One of them, a young boy with sunglasses, asked us. His eyes darted from one person to the next as he awaited an answer. "Where's Alex?! Where's my brother?!"

"Pretty sure I got everybody." Peter said. I realized that this must've been Scott, Alex's younger brother. At Scott's words, I glanced around the crowd of students for Alex. Just as I had feared, he was nowhere to be seen. I started to panic.

"Hank, where's-"

"Alex was closest to the blast..." He told both Scott and me. I put my hands to my mouth as the kid ran in the direction of the rubble. The familiar feeling of my eyes moistening hit me again, except this time, like a train. I fell to my knees, trying my absolute best to contain my tears in front of the already worried students.

I found myself following Scott before I knew what was happening. My legs had moved on their own towards the pile of what used to be my home.

"Please remain calm." I heard a robotic voice say as I sprinted. "Medical assistance is on the way."

The loud roaring of a helicopter filled my ears, forcing me to wipe my eyes and stop to see what was going on. Just as I had heard, a helicopter landed in a clearing in the field. I mentally sighed. The students were going to be alright.

Tons of men jumped from the aircraft, making their way towards the crowd. Miora stepped out in front of them, waving her hand.

"Miora McTaggart! CIA! Thank god you're here!" She yelled over the noise. I watched as the men stepped closer to the group of students. One of them I recognized. It seemed Raven recognized him too.

"Wait!" I heard Raven shout. Before anyone could react, the man had shouted.

"Fire!"

A sound wave of some sort spread across the students, knocking them all to the ground. I fell as well from the blast, but was able to pull myself up. It looked like the students were all unconscious. I spotted Jean and Scott a few feet away, peeking over some rubble at the scene they had just witnessed.

I quickly crawled my way to them, hiding beside them as the men picked out a couple mutants from the crowd to take. Just as one of them looked in our direction, we all bent down to hide.

"What do we do?" The blue kid asked.

"Keep quiet." Jean responded, seeming to be thinking of a plan.

As the man passed through the rubble and into our view, I started shaking. I held my breath. He looked right at us, and yet, didn't see us.

"Clear!" He shouted before heading back to the helicopter. The group of us let out our breath we had been holding in as we separated from each other.

"Thanks Jean." Scott said. "We gotta help them. Kurt can you get us in that thing?"

"You want to get there? What if the soldiers see us?" The blue boy, who I learned was named Kurt, told us.

"Don't worry, they won't see us. Trust me." Jean piped up. Everyone looked over to me.

"And you, who the hell are you?" Scott asked, a tinge of attitude in his words.

"I'm Kayla. I honestly think you kids need all the help you can get right now."

"We definitely do." Jean agreed. "Now Kurt?"

"Hold on." Kurt gripped onto all of our arms. We were surrounded by a plume of blue and suddenly, we were in the back of helicopter.

"A teleporter..." I said, half to myself. "Neat."

The door to the aircraft closed, and the strange cage-like room we were held in lit up. Inside were Raven, Hank, Peter and Miora, all still unconscious. The kids beside me looked panicked.

"Kurt, get us all out of here!" Scott shouted. Kurt grabbed onto all of us again, but couldn't seem to teleport out.

"I- I can't... when they close the doors, there's some kind of electrical field." He explained.

"Jean, get into the pilot's heads, don't let them take off!" Scott seemed more afraid now.

"I can't reach the pilots, I can't reach anyone!" She said. At this point, we had already taken off. I touched around the walls for some sort of electricity I could mess with. But my reach had shortened greatly. I couldn't do anything other than flicker the lights a bit. I felt so useless.

I realized that it was my job now to make sure these kids were safe, and I was already failing at it.