Chapter 7 ~ The Library

The crisp warm air of the library was soothing. So soothing in fact, that I fell asleep in there often. I woke slowly from my dream-like state and rubbed my eyes. I was seated in the open window seat. I remember finding this spot a week ago, all the way in the back behind some shelves. When I felt stressed or just needed some time to think, I'd come to this place. It was quiet, and refreshing on the mind. I don't think I would have found it if I didn't drop literally all the books off of a tall bookshelf.

I must've fallen asleep here when I was stargazing. The sun was already coming up, filling the library with shadows. I adjusted myself on the wood, warm from my body heat, and leaned my head against the cool glass.

"So that's where you went." I heard a voice echo from the far doorway. I turned lazily to see Erik.

"Yea, I'm here." I rasped.

"Were you here all night?"

"Yea." I yawned. "Is it training time?"

"No, I think it can wait." He told me, walking over to the window seat. "I bet it's nice at night."

"It's better up here on this sill." I informed him.

"May I?"

"Of course." I scooted my legs closer to me so Erik could fit himself in the window, across from me. There wasn't too much room, we had to intertwine our legs so we could both fit somewhat comfortably.

"I'm sleepy." I groaned, sleep still lingering in my throat.

"Didn't you just wake up?" He asked jokingly.

"Yea but I'm still sleepy."

"Well, we can start later. I can go if you-"

"No, stay." I blurted out, almost instinctively. I could feel my face turn red.

"Well alright, I will." Erik shifted himself to be more comfortable, as he might be sitting there for a while. I did actually want to get some more sleep but I didn't want Erik to leave. I also felt awkward sitting in silence but I didn't know what to say. Thankfully Erik spoke for me.

"Do you like it here?" He asked.

"I'd say so, maybe a pillow or two would make it a bit more comfortable but I don't mind."

"I meant with me- well... us." He clears his throat.

"Oh." I felt my face go red again. Erik noticed and laughed a little. "You've been a sweetheart, Erik. How could I not like it here? You've done so much for me." I admitted

"Thank you, by the way... for bringing me here and training me and... thank you for a lot of things, actually." I said to him after a moment.

"Oh? Thank me?"

"Yea."

"What for?" He got up from his spot on the sill and began to move toward a nearby bookshelf.

"Stuff and things..." I tried to explain. Erik laughed.

"Kayla, I do the things I do for you out of respect and support..." he trailed off, glancing back at me quickly. I just sighed.

"You don't have to. I wouldn't say I'm worth all this, y'know?" Erik whipped his head around, looking offended as if I had just bad-mouthed his family. Maybe to him, I did.

"Not worth all this? Do you really think that?" He questioned, worry in his voice.

"Well, I just-"

"Kayla, you are more than worth all this. This isn't my job, to train you. You remember, right? I offered?" I nodded. "I could've trained any of these kids if I offered but I chose you. I know you're truly worth something."

"But why?"

"Huh?"

"Why'd you choose me?" I asked him, turning myself and letting my legs dangle off the side of the sill. Erik finally turned all the way around to face me but didn't say anything.
"You said you could've trained anybody here so why me?"

"Well, you... you're... I..." he stuttered. He seemed to be piecing things together in his brain about what to say. "I don't know exactly, myself." He finally said, sighing heavily.

"Maybe I saw something in you that I didn't see in the others. Or you're the unlucky one."

"I'd say I'm the luckiest of them all."

"I thought I was a bit standoff-ish." Erik confessed, approaching me as if he were very interested in what I had to say next.

"Standoff-ish? You? Really?"

"Well.."

"Oh, stop it. You've been absolutely wonderful." He didn't respond, he just smiled brightly, looking off to the side.

"In fact," I started again, regaining his gaze. "One of the first things you said to me was, if I needed anything, to come and find you. I wouldn't ever call that standoff-ish."

"You flatter me." Erik beamed "And that notion still stands. If you wanna have a chat, practice a bit, get some advice, anything. You're always welcome to come and find me." He paused, looking down for a moment then back up as if he was contemplating what to say.

"Even if you just need a hug."

"I'd like that." I found myself getting up from my comfy window seat immediately. I embraced him without thinking. He, of course, accepted it lovingly, pulling me closer. It wasn't until then I realized how much I really needed that hug. I gripped onto his shirt, not wanting to let go. Eventually, I forced myself to, hoping to stop my eyes before they decided to let loose all their built up tears. Erik looked like he noticed.

"Hey.. hey, are you alright, love?" He muttered to me softly, running a hand through my hair.

"Yes, I just really needed that." I sighed heavily and grinned up at him. I did a small wiggle to "shake off" any bottled up emotions I had lingering about. Erik laughed subtly. The morning sun shined in through the windows, making Erik's soft eyes light up like they never did before.