Chapter 25 ~ Home Sweet Home

"Kayla, where the hell were you?!" Charles yelped. Surprisingly, he was rolling towards me aggressively from his wheelchair, shouting obscenities. He was followed by Logan and Hank.
"Were you off screwing Erik again?! I bet you were! I swear to god, Kayla, he gets out of jail for one second and the first thing you do is-"

"Charles!" Logan shouted over Charles's angry rambling. "You can't just assume that's where she went."

I stood in the doorway awkwardly, as I had literally just got there.

"I'm sorry, Kayla, it's just I'm trying to get weaned off my medicine but also, why- where?" Charles rambled.

"I was with Erik."

"A-ha!" Charles squeaked, having been proven he was right. Both Logan and I rolled our eyes.

"Charles, I know where Raven is going." I told him. Everyone stopped their bickering to look at me.

"You do? Where?"

"Washington. They're presenting the sentinels. Trask will be there."

"Well, then we have no time to waste." Charles wheeled himself away, and I followed him. We all made our way down, below the school. I knew that was where Cerebro was located, but I had never been inside before. I didn't remember Charles ever going in it either.

"When was the last time you were down here?" Logan asked.

"The last time we went looking for students." Hank explained.

"A lifetime ago." Charles sighed deeply.

The large metal doors had an X on them. A blue light shined through the center into Charles's eyes. I assumed it was some kind of eye scanner.

"Welcome, Professor." It said before it's doors opened. It revealed a long narrow path inside of a dome. It had white panels inside, and at the end of the narrow path was a machine. A helmet was attached to it.

"Raven's wounded, she won't be moving fast." Logan told him.
Charles placed the helmet on his head.

"These are muscles I haven't stretched in a long time." We all watched impatiently as Cerebro activated. Then all we had to do was wait.

"Charles? Can you see her?" I asked quietly. Charles grunted a response, obviously having a bit of trouble getting in contact with her. I could tell he was panicking a bit. I felt his heart rate go up just by looking at him.

"Charles!" Logan boomed, as Charles's behavior was worrisome.
Then, out of nowhere, Charles let out a scream of pain, as all of the dials on Cerebro shattered. He was struggling to catch his breath, pulling the helmet off of his head and running a shaking hand through his hair.

"Charles, it's alright." I tried my best to comfort him, gripping his hand. I knew all too well about panic attacks, and I could tell Charles was having one.

"I'll go check the generator." Hank said, sprinting away.

"It's not the machinery, is it?" Logan wondered, even though he probably already knew the answer.

"I can't do this... my mind-" Charles began.

"Yes, you can." Logan interrupted.

"It won't take it."

"You're just a little rusty."

"You don't understand. It's not a question of being rusty." Charles tried his best to explain. "I can flip the switches. I can turn the knobs. But my power comes from here." He motions to his mind. Then his hand falls to his heart, still shaking.