Chapter 22 ~ Complications

I forced myself to open my eyes. I didn't know how long it had been. I carefully got myself up and looked out of the window at the crowd below me. Everyone there was on the ground, crying and groaning in pain. Some were stumbling to get to their feet. I saw Hank and Erik still on the ground, clutching their heads. Raven was crawling away, trying her best to get away from Erik before he regained consciousness. I was about to ask myself what happened to them when I realized.

I happened.

Luckily Hank was conscious before Erik, attacking him as he got up. Raven was on her feet now, wobbly but walking. Most of the crowd was up as well, jogging to check on other people. Some were running away. I turned back to see Charles and Logan, struggling to stand. I ran to them, helping them up.

"Charles, Logan... I'm so sorry!" I sobbed to them. Logan quickly pulled himself away from my grasp.

"What the hell happened?! Who are you?!" Charles weakly chuckled.

"He's fine, Kayla. Are you alright?" He struggled to catch his breath.

"Me? Are you? I just- I had- they- you-" I stuttered. I looked out of the broken window again. "Erik..." I let go of Charles and ran out of the conference room and down the hall. I needed to get to him and make sure Raven, him, and Hank were okay.

I ran past the car, out of the parking garage, and into the crowd. In the fountain, Erik and Hank were wrestling with each other, but Raven was nowhere to be seen. I hoped she was okay. I pushed through the running crowd, shoving people as carefully as I could, hurrying towards them. I was hoping I could do something to stop them fighting. When I got there, Erik was submerged under the water, and the area around him was red with his blood. At first, I thought the worst.

"Hank!" I yelped, making him look up at me. Thankfully Erik was okay, but he took advantage of the distraction I caused. Four metal wire type things moved from the fountain, grabbing Hank by his wrists and legs. He was hoisted high above the water, giving Erik a chance to get to his feet again. I stopped myself from running to him. I watched as Erik scanned the crowd, searching for any sign of Raven. A few police officers ran to capture him. He pushed them away with a swish of his hand. Everyone was running and screaming, trying to get away from the chaos that just happened. Erik and I locked eyes for a moment.

"Kay-" he began but decided to bite his tongue. He knew now was not the time to talk. He was drenched, and his hair was slicked back. I knew now was the time. I sprinted to him, grabbing him by the shirt collar.

"The fuck?!" I yelped, knocking him square in the jaw. Watching Charles do it was fun, but hitting him myself was even better. Erik reeled back but kept his balance, holding his face.

"Stop right there!" I heard a voice say behind us. We assumed it was a police officer. Erik and I exchanged glances before running into the crowd.

"You're in deep shit, Erik." I teased him with a straight face. It was like I could feel him roll his eyes.

"I didn't give everyone a stroke." He teased back, pushing someone aside as we ran.

"Hey!" I squeaked, but I was shoved away from Erik's side by someone and lost sight of him. I spotted him a bit away, hiding as best he could in the crowd as he moved away from the surrounding chaos.

I heard Hank in the distance, coming undone from the creaking metal. I turned to see him running away towards the parking garage, I assumed to meet with Charles and Logan. I decided to follow Erik close behind as he walked, so I was sure he didn't get in any more trouble because he was bound to.

~

I saw him from the window of a motel when I pretended to walk down the street. I waited outside, leaning on the side of the small building, hoping he wouldn't notice me when he walked by. Luckily he didn't. Most importantly, I saw the room number he entered. Now was my best time to sit and think.

Okay, so what happened was crazy. I'll admit, a little too crazy for me to handle. I didn't remember signing up for all that, but it already happened, and I couldn't change it. Part of me knew I could've done more to help but I didn't. I was so afraid of lashing out that it made me lash out. Ironic.

I sighed deeply. I needed to go to Erik and talk about this. If he would listen to anyone, it would be me. But what would I say? Punching him wouldn't suffice. I'd have to word it as understanding as possible for him. He's too stubborn to accept it otherwise. I stood up to pace. And pace I certainly did.

Finally, I thought I was ready. I started walking but immediately turned around. No that won't work. I took another step forward, but reeled back once more, banging my fist on the wall.

"God damn it, why can't I just talk to him?" I say to myself out loud, pacing a bit more.

I eventually, after a few more minutes of pondering, build up the courage to walk up to Erik's door. The wooden steps creaked under my weight. I jogged to his number and took a deep breath before knocking. At first, no answer. I knocked again. Still no answer. Then the panic set in. Did he leave while I wasn't looking? Was he arrested? Is he okay??"

"Erik! It's Kayla!" I shouted at the door. "Can you let me in?"

He still wasn't answering. I could feel my hands start to tremble. But I knew I needed to try and control it so that I didn't make a scene in public or cause anyone nearby any unnecessary pain. The light next to his door flickered. I was about to knock again when the door swung open. There stood Erik. He held a washcloth to the back of his head with his hand. I could tell it was stained with blood. I also saw the huge bruise on his jawline from that piece of my mind I gave him. I moved a single hair from my eyes with my sleeve. He must've noticed something was off, because his eyes softened for a moment.

"You can come in..." He said.