Chapter 20 ~ Playing The Game

I sat across from Logan on the plane as Erik changed out of his prison clothing. Logan sat in silence, lighting a big brown cigar and taking a puff.

"So you and Erik..." he finally said, hesitantly.

"Yea."

"How'd you guys meet?"

"Well," I began. "I got recruited by him and Charles. Erik took a liking to me and offered to mentor me. I guess things just kinda went from there."

"Yea that's-" he stopped suddenly, gripping the seat's armrest. The plane was taking off.

"Scared of flying?" I wondered. Logan looked around quickly then nodded. I waited until he calmed down to say anything. "You alright?"

"Yea, it's just the initial take off." Logan loosened his grip on the armrest and leaned forward to get closer to me.

"What are you gonna do when Erik walks out of that bathroom? Because you look like you want to knock his ass out, and I'm not gonna try and stop you if you do." I laughed a little.

"I think Charles hit him hard enough."

"So what are you gonna do?" Logan wondered.

"I don't know. Maybe talk to him? Should I?"

"That's not my decision." He told me. There was a moment of silence as we both thought. "Do you still love him?" Logan asks under his breath.

"Between you and me, Kayla. Honestly." I look away for a moment, wondering if I should tell him. But his eyes look sincere like he was trying to actually help me.

"Yea, I do. He's problematic but part of me misses him so much. And it really hurts, because I feel like I shouldn't still love him after what he's done."

"As much as he's an asshole, I can see why he appealed to you, especially 10 years ago." Logan leaned back in his chair. "You should talk to him." He flicked his cigar.

"Thank you, Logan, for-"

"Shh, it's our secret. And no problem." He took another puff. I spotted Erik walk out of the bathroom, buttoning up his shirt. Our eyes met for a moment before he went to stand near Charles.

"Where did they dig you up?" Erik asked Logan. I could tell he looked like he had a lot to say, but he wasn't saying it.

"You're gonna find this hard to believe but uh, you sent me. You and Charles. From the future." Logan answered. Of course, Erik didn't seem too convinced but he didn't try to argue. He looked over at Charles, gazing at his face, to his legs, then back.

"How did you lose them?"

"The treatment for my spine affects my DNA." There was an edge to his voice.

"You sacrificed your powers so you could walk?"

"I sacrificed my powers so that I could sleep.." He trailed off. He never liked talking about it, even to me. "What do you know about it?"

"I've lost my fair share." Erik stated plainly. Although he hasn't really spoken to me yet, I knew he was talking about me.

"Ha." Charles spoke sarcastically, making me chuckle a bit under my breath. "Dry your eyes, Erik. It doesn't justify what you've done."

"You have no idea what I've done."

"I know that you've hurt our family Erik. And I know that you took the things that mean the most to us."

"Well, maybe you should've fought harder for them." I watched as they both started raising their voices. I secretly hoped there wouldn't be a fight, especially considering we were in a big metal plane.