Chapter 17 ~ The Future Calls

1973

I was upstairs, spending time with Charles. We were sitting on his bed. He was telling me the story of meeting Erik for the thirtieth time. I could tell Charles missed him as much as I did.

"And then this wanker tried to lift the bloody submarine! He would've died if I didn't jump in and save his arse!" He explained, laughing. "He is a piece of work let me tell you. Of course, you know better than anyone."

"Oh yea I do, he's too stubborn for his own good. But he is brave-"

"He's egotistical that's what he is! He didn't care about me or you or anyone for that matter! Only one thing mattered to Erik and that was himself."

I was taken back by Charles and his sudden hostility. He must've noticed.

"I'm sorry I'm like that, love. I just-"

"It's okay Charles." I told him. He pulled me into a hug, burying his face in my hair. I knew the whole thing upset him. He lost his legs, he lost Raven, he lost Erik. Hank and I were the only family he had left. Eventually, Charles let go, wiping his face.

"Thank you for putting up with me all these years. I don't know where I'd be without you." He told me, rubbing my shoulder.

"I'd say I owe you. I should've never left you on that beach, then maybe things would be different." I admitted. Charles gazed at me softly.

"It wasn't your fault, not ever. Don't blame yourself. What matters is that you're here now and that you're safe."

"I don't deserve you, Charles."

"No you don't, you deserve much better, I'm a disaster these days." He joked.

"Aren't we all."

There were a few sudden crashes from down the hall. Both Charles and I whipped our heads around in surprise. He got up from the bed and peeked down the hall.

"The hell was that?" He walked out, going to investigate. I followed him a bit farther behind. We walked slowly through the hallways, finding ourselves in the main staircase. Hank was there, blue and all, dangling spastically from the chandelier. Underneath it was a table and on the table laid a man. He looked rugged, and he wore a brown leather jacket.

"Hank? What's going on here?" Charles shouted, his voice echoing in the emptiness. He trudged down the stairs with heavy steps. I looked down at the strange rugged man, a bit scared.

"Professor..?" The man muttered. Hearing someone call Charles "professor" brought back some nostalgia.

"Please don't call me that."

"What, you know this guy?" Hank questioned.

"Eh, he looks.. slightly familiar," Charles replied. "Get off the bloody chandelier, Hank."

Hank flipped himself off the chandelier. The man underneath looked dumbfounded.

"You can walk.." he stated.

"You're a perceptive one."

"I thought Erik-"

"Which makes it slightly perplexing that you missed our sign on the way in. This is private property, my friend. I'm going to have to ask him to ask you to leave." Charles explained to him, taking a seat on one of the first steps. I stayed back and observed their conversation. This man somehow knew about Erik, which interested me.

"I'm afraid I can't do that, because," the man paused. "Because I was sent here for you."

"Well tell whoever it was that sent you that I'm... busy." Charles told him, sighing. I finally made my way down the steps, standing, more protectively than not, behind Charles.