Chapter 10 ~ The Night Before

My room was quiet, the only sound was the soft humming of the fan. All of the lamps were off, letting the soothing orange light of the sunset shining through the open window. I was laying on the bed, staring up at the ceiling in deep thought.

I'll admit I was scared. Training this past couple of weeks had been amazing, and I felt that I learned a lot. And Erik's existence in itself brings me so much happiness. He always helped me push my anxiety away when it came to my powers, always.

But from time to time, especially now, it would return. I'll admit I was a little scared of Shaw, and a little doubtful about my place in all this. I heard a knock at the door, sitting up.

"Come in!" I called. The door creaked open to reveal Charles.

"Hey, Charles." I greeted him.

"Hello darling." He returned, taking a seat on the edge of my bed. "I wanted to talk with you privately."

"Is this my pre-battle-with-Shaw pep talk?" I joked.

"Heh, I guess you could call it that." His face quickly turned from lighthearted to concerned. "Will you be alright tomorrow? Fighting Shaw?"

"Did you read my mind?"

"I don't need to be a telepath to know when you're worried." He told me. "I come to you not as some kind of authority figure, but as a friend."

I hesitated. Charles was probably the sweetest and most understanding guy in the universe. But we never talked, not really. He seemed very much like a college professor. There is mutual respect as we learn from each other, but it was never on a personal level. But honestly, I felt it was time to get a little personal and spill my feelings out to him.

"I'm scared of Shaw." I said plainly.

"Me too." He replied. I was taken back a bit by his sudden, blunt answer.

"Really?"

"Of course." He paused.

"I take responsibility for this team, this family we've created. If anything were to happen to them, I would never forgive myself."

For some odd reason, I wouldn't believe someone if they told me Charles was scared of things. He was always so brave all the time when I couldn't be.

"All of us are so young, with such bright and hopeful futures. I'm scared because I know that Shaw will not hesitate to try to kill each and every one of us.." Silence for a few moments.

"How do you get.. not scared?" I asked him, subconsciously curling myself into a ball of anxiety.

"Well, I get myself together, take a deep breath and say 'Charles Francis Xavier, this team, this family, is ready to fight Shaw. Why are we ready to fight Shaw? Because Shaw doesn't have Erik. Shaw doesn't have Raven or Hank. He doesn't have Sean or Alex. And he doesn't have you or me."

"Does it work?" I ask him.

"Sometimes. When it doesn't, I go and make myself some tea." He laughed, his kind smile returning. "Would you care to join me?"

"Yes please."

Charles lifted himself from the bed, helping me up as well. I followed him close behind as we walked into the hallway. The light from the huge window in the front turned the walls and floor orange. I was finally getting used to the twisting corridors. It wasn't long before we reached the kitchen and Charles began to make our tea. I leaned against a wall, resting my head on the polished wood trim. The soft glow of the room made me tired, and Charles' soft humming was comforting. The mansion became my home, and my teammates became my friends. It made me forget about Shaw and my anxiety. I just stood and enjoyed living.

"It looks like you'll be sleeping well tonight." Charles said, handing the warm cup to me gently. I must've started zoning out. I took a sip and he did the same, both of us letting out a refreshing 'ah'.

"Thank you." I said to him quietly.

"You're welcome, this tea-"

"Thank you for finding me at that motel, and for asking me to join the team." Charles' eyes softened, as he placed his cup down on the counter. I did the same.

"Thank you for saying yes." He replied. I pulled him into a tight hug, tugging his shirt. He hugged me back just as tightly.

~

I decided the best place to visit during this time was the library. It was a place I would go to when I felt anxious or stressed. I entered with a sigh, still carrying my now cold, almost empty cup of tea.

"I figured you'd come here." I heard Erik's very familiar voice say. I turned the corner to see him. He sat in the spot I always did, on the sill of the window, spinning a silver coin around his fingers. He turned to me with a smile. The light from the sunset behind him casted his figure in shadows.

"Hey Erik, how'd you know I'd be here?"

"Not long after the President's speech, the TV stopped working." He chuckled to himself a bit.

"Oh." I said, half to myself. "Right."

I walked closer to him, placing my tea on a shelf nearby.

"You're afraid." Erik stated, not looking at me.

He seemed like he was in deep thought. I watched him twirl the coin carefully. He must've snapped back, because he placed the coin down beside him.

The lamp flickered. Erik's eyes met mine.

"Talk to me. That's why I'm here."