Chapter Twenty Two

22. Aches

'it beats, it breaks,
it loves, it aches.
for you,
only you.'

⤐

His first thought was her.

He had to get Zeppelin the fuck out of there.

Walkers spilled out from the truck beds, beginning with the one Aaron slid open first, but each door was rigged with thick metal chains to open together. Whoever set this trap executed it so well that it had to have been done before, and if the dead didn't get them first, Daryl was certain the living would be on their way soon.

He instinctually snagged her roughly by the elbow and pulled her behind him, mentally checking himself for the amount of force he put into the contact. Though it didn't make much difference as she stubbornly shoved her way next to him anyway.

  Aaron was separated from them by a thrumming sea of corpses, and Daryl sent a silent prayer to whatever was up there that he could defend himself.

  He took down a few of the ones close by, slicing through with his knife quickly before the sticky, black blood could coat his hand. He shuddered when he realized each one had the same W carved into their foreheads as the one they found in the woods, but forced his questions away, focusing on the death closing in on them. Zepp was at his side, matching each movement with her own speed though her breathing was beginning to grow heavier.

  There was just too damn many of them.

  He swung the frame of his bow into a rotting skull, brains splatting his chest and arms before he laced his fingers through Zepp's and dove under one of the trucks, yanking her down with him. They shakily heaved a few breaths, sparing a moment as the walkers started to fall to the ground around them, slithering their way towards them like bloated pythons.

  She yelped as one grabbed her ankle, thrashing her boot into its disintegrated face. Another one snaked its skeletal hand around her wrist, and Daryl stabbed his large, jagged edged knife directly between its eyes. They were coming for her, but he'd make damn sure he'd be the one to go first.

  With nowhere else to go but out, he braced himself, kicking a few skulls to create a path under the truck to allow them to get through. A large metal chain likely used to lock the trucks or help load was piled on the ground, and after he was sure Zepp had crawled out safely, he wrapped one end around his hands and swung as hard as he could. The chain sliced through the heads of three walkers, crumpling to the ground in front of them.

  "Here! Over here!"

  The pair whipped around to see Aaron halfway hanging out of a car window a few feet away, frantically waving them over as he shoved away what used to be a man. Even more walkers spilled out the back of the trucks into the parking lot, pushing the tidal wave of the dead into a full tsunami.