Chapter Forty Nine

49. Wrath

'my ghosts will rejoice in knowing
my wrath is their vengeance.'
-monique orgeron

'-monique orgeron

  I'm looking.. for someone. Who am I supposed to be looking for? They're lost... I'm supposed to be looking for them. Girl. Little girl. Sophia.

I'm supposed to be looking for Sophia.

Why am I here? I need to find her.

  No... not Sophia.

  Sophia's dead.

  They're all dead, aren't they?

No, no, I'm looking, looking... looking for someone.

Who is she? She's there... green eyes. I see them.

  So beautiful.

Where am I?

  Who am I?

  Daryl groaned as he curled into a ball against the damp concrete floor, ears ringing sharply through the melody of Easy Street blasting through the door repeatedly. He sucked in a shaky breath that felt like sucking a cactus down into his swollen throat.

  Everything was swollen; everything hurt.

I can see her face, her eyes... yes, yes. I see them.

Ace.

Zeppelin.

I see her.

"Where is he!?" Thunder rolled over Zeppelin's plea, a touch of warning as she paced between the ravine's edge and Lisa's body slumped against a tree.

  Static buzzed over the channel before a man's voice demanded, "Who the fuck is this?"

  "How'd you get on this channel?" Another echoed.

"Answer the goddamn question," she snapped. A drop of rain landed between her brows, and she wiped it away. "Where.. is Negan?"

Lisa stirred behind her, her body slowly regaining control as tiny pearls of crystal-tipped water drizzled between the thick canopy of leaves. Zepp dug in her pack for the thin rope, her other hand clenched tightly around the walkie-talkie. She could hear footsteps running down cement hallways over the fuzzy static, voices mumbling words like who, how, and where. She was sure they were wondering if she was a problem they could handle themselves or something they needed to get the big boss involved in.