Chapter Fifty One

51. I Know the End

'if you must die, I'll envy
even the earth that wraps
your body.'
-albert camus

'-albert camus

Daryl's first initial thought was that she was the most beautiful creature he'd ever seen.

  He loosened his grip around Zeppelin's shaking wrist, the tip of her blade hovering dangerously close to the center of his throat. They stared at each other, their gazes unwavering.

Even wild and disheveled, adorned with bruises and blood that he suspected did not only belong to her, Zeppelin was so beautiful. He couldn't help but think that's what angels must look like. Although now, she was closer to an angel of Hell.

  His second thought was that he would find whoever did this to her and show them what Hell is.

  As if something between them ignited, propelling them towards each other, they both reached out, their hands grasping and clawing for each other as Daryl pulled her into the shadows of the nearest room. She felt like a lifeline, like if he let go for even one second, he'd drown.

  His hands roamed Zepp's neck, her shoulders, arms, face, and hair. He couldn't get enough of the feeling of her. He would think he was dreaming if it weren't for the blistering pain in his side, the brush of her skin against his fingers, and her breathy sobs mingling with his own.

But it's real, all of it; she was here, right in front of him. He kissed her hard, then again and again.

Real, real, real.

Even before he'd been held prisoner for far too long, his brain had never fully understood how someone like her could exist in his world, could hold him and touch him, even look at him. She's real.

  Real, real, real.

It took him far too long to find the words his tongue begged to utter but had been far too interested in her mouth to bother. "Ace," he breathed, verging on a cry as he pressed his hands against the sides of that beautiful, beautiful face. He tried to be aware of the pressure of his palms.

  Zepp grinned, wide and wild, and a sound escaped her bruised throat- almost like laughter while choking back a sob. The fingers on her right hand were shaking fiercely as she raised them to his chin, trailing down his jaw and neck as if she couldn't quite believe he was there yet.

  Real, real, real.

  "Daryl." The fire alarms screamed, but it all faded at the sound of her voice. "You're here," she said, her head tilted. "You're really here."