Chapter Twenty Five

25. Just Survive Somehow

'beware the rain, beware the snow
beware the man you think you know.'
-Catherine Fisher

'-Catherine Fisher

It started as a game.

Red light, green light to get some exercise in while Carl and Zepp were confined inside the walls of Alexandria. He sprinted down the Main Street on her call, pushing a cackling Judith in her stroller ahead of him. On his third screeching red light stop, Carl decided to add a new order to the game.

"Walkers!" He shouted, throwing himself in front of the stroller and unbuckling Judith as fast as he could. He scooped her tight against his chest and sprinted back up the road to Zeppelin.

He laughed, though it was light, swiping a cinnamon curl from Judith's eyes. "What?" He tilted his head, noticing the expression Zepp was fighting to conceal.

His bit had left her wide eyed and shaking, her fists clenched tightly at her sides, and he didn't even realize why. Normal children would be frightened, or wouldn't be prepared enough to have a plan in all situations the way he did. But then again, normal wasn't really normal anymore.

It hit her then.. how truly different Carl really was.

She snapped herself out of the hazy fog settling over her mind, forcing her attention back to him. She cleared her throat and smirked, running a hand over his head as he scrunched his nose and grinned.

"Nothing. Come on, kid."

Side by side, they headed towards their house before a timid voice from behind stopped them in their tracks.

"Excuse me, um, Zepp? Carl?"

When Zepp twisted to face Gabriel, she nearly tossed Judith's stroller at him. She slipped the baby from Carl's arms, if only to keep her own hands occupied.

"I know you all heard what I told Deanna about your group."

"What do you want?" Zepp snapped, clenching her teeth.

"It was about me.." Gabriel murmured, keeping his gaze steadily on Zeppelin's. "Not about you or your group. I know that now. I want to help. You tried to teach me back at my church," he nodded to Carl.

"I'm ready to learn now."

"I think you need to tell that to everybody then," Carl offered, nodding in encouragement.