Chapter Fifty Three

53. Say My Name

'I don't know what love is;
teach me, show me,
make me feel
what love is.'
-georgy

*18+ MATURE CONTENT*⤐

Zeppelin knew she was dreaming when she realized she could see her mother.. but not really see her.

She stood in the kitchen, deeply inhaling a cigarette that had already been burned down to the filter. Her mother tossed it in the sink, letting it sizzle out as she threw a few tubes of lipstick in her purse and slung it over her shoulder. When she turned, her face was there, but blurry.. out of focus, like looking at a picture of it while underwater.

Her mother always said Zeppelin looked just like her father and that she hated it, with the dark and wild curls, auburn freckles dotted across the sharp angles of her face, and eyes the color of a forest in spring. Vastly different from the stick-straight, mousy brown hair her mother kept streaked with golden highlights framing her heart-shaped face.

Her pale blue eyes narrowed in on her daughter cowering under her emotionless gaze.

Her mother jumped, startled to see her daughter standing in the doorway behind her. From the height of the rusted appliances around her and the angle of her neck, as she tilted her gaze to meet her mother's, she must be a child again, her matured mind trapped in this spindly body with weak arms and knobby knees.

"Ugh, Zeppelin, don't just stand behind me like that. It's creepy." Her mother rolled her eyes and adjusted the straps of her hot pink push-up bra, the neon fabric peeking out over the tight black dress. "I'm goin' out. There's some pizza in the box on the counter."

"What about him?" Her voice was small again, easily cracked, and barely above a whisper.
Her mother's stormy eyes darted to the recliner where her husband lounged, his head lolling to the side in a drunken stupor.

"Oh, he's out cold, honey. Wouldn't be no fun anyway," she drawled and tossed her hair over her exposed shoulder. "Help him get upstairs, though. He stays in that chair all night, he'll wake up in a pissy mood, and we'll both have to deal with it." Without another glance at either of them, she held her chin high and walked straight out, the door clicking softly behind her.

Zeppelin was left to her own devices, which wasn't anything out of the ordinary anyway. But something felt different this night.. significant.