Chapter Fifty Eight

58. Break

'i am the rock against
which the surf crashes.
nothing can break me.'
-sarah j. maas

 maas

'No exceptions. Now I get it, you want to protect what's yours, your woman. But here's the thing, everything you used to have... is mine now. So if she's your woman, guess what, friend? She's mine now. Now I don't know what kind of lying assholes you've been dealing with.. but I'm a man of my word. First impressions are important.
I need you to know me.'

'So... back to it.'

  "Daryl?"

  The gentle voice yanked Daryl from his thoughts, and he resisted the urge to shrink into himself before he quickly recovered, wiping a palm down his cheek before he turned to face it.

  Zeppelin had left to go to Alexandria just a few minutes prior; the sun had barely made its appearance, and already he felt the searing ache she left in his heart. His insides felt like a melting candle, and the scalding wax was dripping through his veins.

  Maggie leaned against the trailer door, her arms crossed over her chest as she stared at him perched on the picnic table across from her. The dawn light barely illuminated the concern marking her face, the worry line snaking between her brows.

He was very careful not to meet her gaze. Wouldn't dare let his eyes meet hers. He knew what he would see there. Anger, accusations, despair. He couldn't even begin to tell her how sorry he was, so he had chosen to avoid her instead.

Like a coward.

Daryl turned his face away from hers, honing in on a scuff on the top of his boot while he continued sharpening the knife in his hands. He heard her steps come closer and felt the warmth of her standing at his back. Still, he couldn't look at her.

One hand on his shoulder made him tense, the blood in his veins instantly chilling at the contact. She didn't say anything, just squeezed gently.

As soon as it happened, she was gone.

The rush of relief emptied his lungs, and he dropped his head.

Like a coward.

The morning sun was barely hovering over the horizon when Zeppelin reached the gates of Alexandria. The steel walls loomed before her, and where before they seemed so safe and protected, now the sight sent chills down her spine.