Chapter Forty Eight

48. Snatch

'A day will come when you think you are
safe and happy, and suddenly,
your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth,
and you will know the debt is paid.'
-George R.R. Martin

 Martin

  "Would you believe me if I said I was sorry?" Zepp asked, her voice unnervingly steady. Each word seemed to hang precariously in the air between them, with only the sound of TV static to fill the empty spaces.

Lisa kept her chin straight and her eyes fixed on Zeppelin's, showing almost no sign of fear.. but Zepp could see it. She could see the glint of worry swell through her cloudless blue eyes like a little raindrop in an otherwise calm lake.

"Here's what we're going to do," Zepp continued. "You tell me where they keep the prisoners, you help me get there, and then I let you go."

"Or?" Lisa raised a brow, her hands twitching slightly at her sides.

Zepp pressed the blade's tip a little further into her neck, just enough to make the woman cringe but not enough to draw blood. Not that the useless thing could do much more than dig sluggishly into her flesh, but Lisa didn't need to know that.

"There is no other option." Her words echoed in the stillness momentarily, Lisa's gaze growing more panicked as every heartbeat passed.

Lisa shook her head, attempting to back away. She froze once again when Zepp's grip on her collarbone tightened. "You'll never get there, and even if you do, then you won't make it back out alive. Besides, I don't even know where the cells are. Never been."

The knife gleamed in the dim fluorescents, catching Zepp's attention. She was painfully aware of the seconds ticking by, each moment bringing her closer and closer to the possibility of being caught. The doctor would be back any minute now. She had to think fast.

"Fine, you don't know anything? I don't have time for your bullshit." She slipped her knife between her teeth and pushed the other woman towards the sofa. As quickly as she could manage, she slipped out of her jeans, now crusty with dried blood, and pulled on the fresh black ones Lisa provided for her. She then stuck the knife in her back pocket and pulled her disgusting shirt over her head, keeping herself planted firmly between Lisa and the door. She could see the other blonde eyeing her from her peripheral vision, shifting uncomfortably as Zepp tugged on the clean shirt.

Zeppelin rolled her eyes, far past the point of caring if someone saw her in her underwear.

One of the men who brought her in had dropped his walkie-talkie on the coffee table, and Zepp snagged it quickly along with a scalpel from the doctor's supply cabinet. The pain pills and antibiotics called out to her, offering a delicious release from the warm ache she felt spreading over her skin and limbs, but she ignored them.