Chapter Fifty Six

56. To the Roots

'you and I grew together.
our roots run deep.
entangled souls of this earth,
we were destined to meet.'
-kiesha shepard

'-kiesha shepard

  In the early stretches of the morning, Zeppelin and Daryl stood off to the side of one of the stables, drawing themselves further into the shadows as they waited for their signal.

  They had arrived at Hilltop a few hours after dawn, just enough time for Jesus to make the trip to Alexandria and back. If Zepp's plan worked, Rick would be with him when he did. When the guards spotted figures in the distance, Maggie hushed them off to the side and gestured to be quiet.

  Maggie... She was vastly different from the woman Zepp had seen just days ago when she was hardly more than an empty shell staring off into the distance of a dim room. Now, though the ghost still flashed in her expression, paling her skin and tightening her mouth, she was more assertive, more aware.

  Enid was with her now, too, following her around the camp with a wary expression. It was clear Maggie had quickly gained the trust and respect of the people of Hilltop more than Gregory would ever have. Zepp could see it in how they all looked to her, really listened when she spoke.

    A true leader.

  She tore her focus from her friend and tightened her grip on Daryl's hand as they waited and waited, every second ticking by, causing her heart to race faster and faster. She could hear the groan of the large gate opening and the sound of Maggie shouting their names. The two hiding away in the shadows drew a quick breath and stole a glance at each other before they twisted around the corner into the golden sunshine.

  It worked. Their people, their family, embraced each other in the open space between the giant slabs of wood that made up the fence surrounding Hilltop.

  Not only did Rick come for them, but also Rosita, Carl, Michonne, and Tara. They all hugged and cried with Maggie and Sasha first, before Rick's gaze landed on Zepp and Daryl, where they awkwardly hung back from the rest of the crowd.

  Rick dropped the hand that was gripping Maggie's shoulder, shaking his head almost feverishly. Then he was jogging over to them, and Zepp met him halfway. Thick arms wrapped around her, on the verge of suffocating as he squeezed her tight.

  He pulled back and pressed his forehead against hers. "I'm so glad you're okay," he murmured, his voice hoarse and broken, as if he had been crying.