Chapter Thirty Five

35. Hilltop

'there is power in ending,
it takes you to the beginning
of what is meant for you.'
-heba nazar

'-heba nazar

"Good gracious, ignacious," Abraham whispered.

The entrance to the building in Hilltop was grand and elegant, with polished wooden floors and a vast staircase that curved upwards to the second floor. Fading wallpaper was adorned with ornate framed portraits of men and women that were unfamiliar to Zepp, but she was sure they were important in their day.

  Doesn't matter now, she thought to herself.

  Her people calmly circled around the foyer, muddy boots scuffing and streaking the lavish rug. Daryl traced a hand along one of the tables before reaching it back to her, lacing it through her own.

"Most of the rooms have been converted to living spaces," Jesus commented, facing the group that lingered near the front door. "Even the ones that weren't bedrooms."

"People live here and in the trailers?" Zepp asked softly, her eyes narrow and focused.

"We plan to build," Jesus calmly answered. "There's babies being born."

She caught Maggie's eye, who grinned and leaned into Glenn, and gave her a soft smile before she turned back to Rick and the others. Her mind pushed and pulled to bring her attention to how Daryl's skin felt against her own.. but she forced herself to stay calm.

A door flung open just behind them and Daryl whipped around, lightly tugging her behind his shoulder. A grey haired man with a full beard and less full hairline flicked his glance around the room.

"Jesus," he scoffed. "You're back. With guests." He arched an eyebrow, buttoning the bottom of his sport coat. There was something in his eye, the way he assessed every person without ever meeting their eyes, it rubbed her the wrong way. Sign of a coward.

"Everyone, this is Gregory," he introduced with no smile on his face this time. "He keeps the trains running on time around here."

"I'm the boss," Gregory corrected, a fake grin twisting the corners of his lips.

Rick nodded his head in respect, his voice a husky murmur. "Well, I'm Rick. We have a community-"

"Why don't y'all go get cleaned up, hmm?" Gregory interrupted, waving his hand nonchalantly to the stairs. The group eyed each other, confused.