Chapter 13: The Escape

REVISED: 05 February 2019

13. The Escape

-;-

ANNOUNCEMENT

The Crowned Prince, Shinomori Aoshi wished to marry Watsuki Emi, the only daughter of the South Kyoto's Daimyo. We are really sorry for those hopeful women who wish to marry the crowned prince... We, the Royal Family would like to give our deepest apologies. However, we hope that all of you enjoyed the balls and parties. We are really happy and thankful to those who attended the Imperial balls. As for the date of the wedding, please wait for further announcement.

At your service,

The Royal Family (signed by Emperor Seijuro Hiko)

Every guards of the palace told every region of Japan the awaited announcement. The entire Kyoto was not surprised to hear the news. After all, royals intended to keep their bloodlines pure. Even so, everyone was excited to witness the wedding of the crowned prince and his intended bride. Some women cried with jealousy towards Princess Emi but most people in Kyoto were glad to hear the news so the madness will end soon, anyway.

Empress Okon and Kaoru were fighting every minute and giggling like little girls as they fought like cats and dogs over who was going to plan for the wedding. Sanosuke has been appointed as the new personal guard of Aoshi after Soujiro's mysterious disappearance. The new position Sanosuke had made his life busier than ever.

It has been two weeks since Megumi saw Misao and Yahiko, she would like to pay them a visit but she was so busy that she barely had no time to breathe.

Princess Emi said that the wedding must commence as soon as possible and everyone in the palace agreed on her immediate decision. Hiko finally decided to celebrate the wedding at the end of the winter season but Princess Emi had her heart set on summer wedding.

Aoshi was elusive as a ghost. He avoided absolutely everyone, refusing even the company of his bride to be. One time, Kenshin had attempted to speak to him because he truly cared about Aoshi's feelings - but no matter how Kenshin tried to confront his brother, Aoshi remained more distant than ever.

Hiko, his father irritates him as he heard another series of comments about how his marriage to Emi was a good political choice.

Okon, his mother played the part of being the good Empress to the extreme. Being friendly to Emi like a good mother in law, asking her a thousand questions on how she fancied her wedding to be like. She even talked to the Princess Emi for hours...

As the number of days passed, the summer season has begun. Tomorrow is the most awaited wedding. All citizens were invited to attend the said celebration. Women, especially those singles are required to wear white kimonos. Everyone was really excited but for Aoshi... he usually spent his time alone in the gardens, his back pressed against the grass as he stared at the sky with a blank expression.

"Aoshi!" someone called and it was his mother, coming her way towards him.

Aoshi stood and helped Okon to catch her breath. "What is it, mother?" he asked.

"Will you take a walk with me?" Okon requested. Aoshi was about to say no but he caught the look in his mother's eye. He sighs... knowing that look. He knew she would never take no as an answer.

As they walked together, Okon started to reminisce. It began how she first met Hiko and her discussion travelled to the events when she was having trouble to produce a child. They decided to adopt and raise the boy that survived the harsh civil war and named him 'Kenshin'... Finally, she had become teary eyed when she told Aoshi how happy she was when she learnt that she was pregnant for her first child. Aoshi listened but he never commented.