Chapter 7: The Burning Feelings

REVISED: 05 February 2019

7. The Burning Feelings

-;-

It's been three weeks since the visit of Kenshin and Kaoru in Megumi's clinic for their castle business matters. Since both of them saw Misao as a servant girl, she only hopes that the couple will not recognise her immediately.

However, she was glad that Sanosuke and Megumi are finally together as a couple. And she smiled as she imagined the engaged royal couple, Kenshin and Kaoru. She looked up at the sky and let her thoughts wander, 'Would I have a love like them?' she asked herself.

The ball was set to begin at 7:00pm. As the sun sets at 5:30pm, Misao quickly leaves Shishio's mansion as the trio went down early at the palace gate. She ran as fast as she could to Megumi's clinic. She could not believe that she will be going to see the ball for the second time. Misao suddenly prayed to the Gods to keep her identity safe and hidden.

"You're perfect now, Misao-chan!" Megumi said as she found herself so beautiful at the blue kimono. "And look what I have for your hair!" she added, holding up a lovely glittering pink ribbon.

"Thank you so much, Megumi-san!" Misao exclaimed as she gave the doctor a big warm hug.

"You're very welcome dear; you look like a real lady in that dress." Megumi answered and gently fixed its top line to reveal more of her delicate neck.

"... yet have small boobs." Yahiko cut in.

"REPEAT WHAT YOU SAID?!" Misao was annoyed, ready to kick the young boy in his groin.

"Now, now, stop that foolish thing and let's go to that rooster head, he was waiting for us at the palace gate." Megumi told them.

When they arrived, Sanosuke let them in the servants' entrance. He suddenly gave Megumi a quick kiss on her lips and grinned as Megumi's face went red so she hit him in his chest playfully. From the distance, Misao could really tell that the couple is very in love with each other.

"Now, this way, Lady Akari." Sanosuke said as he led her in the party place.

The ball was being held again in the palace garden. The decorations were mostly in the most boring shades of black and white. From the flowers, which were very little this time were now placed in the trunks of the every tree. Every kind of sake was ready to serve on the table and in the very centre of the place, she saw Aoshi with his bodyguards. He was dressed in a black kimono with his twin sword, kodachi hung at his waist belt. His ice blue eyes were still cold and emotionless yet it seems that it was sparkling due to the many candlelight that were lit on.

She carefully held the paper fan Megumi had given her earlier. Today, the ball was themed as 'Wind'. Every maiden in the party must hide their faces first using their elegant fans before they were asked to dance. This made her thankful knowing that the chances recognising her will be very little. She slowly made her way at the very edge of the room when a man accidentally bumped into her.

"Sorry, Lady." A voice said that belong to a young man. His face was hidden by a mask so she could not recognise who he was. Observing her surroundings, the young man turned out to be one of the palace guards patrolling the party area.

"Oh." she only answered, trying to discipline her loud and angry self in a very glamorous situation.

"May I help you?" the young man asked in a charming voice. Even she could not see his face; Misao could tell from the tone of his voice that he was smiling.

"I'm alright." She commented and the guard walked away. Somehow, she has the feeling that it was Soujiro again. Misao somehow recognised the voice but she could be wrong. She let the thoughts concerning him slipped away.