Chapter 5: The Enchanted

REVISED: 05 February 2019

5. The Enchanted

-;-

When the event came into her view, Misao could not help but gasped at the sight.

Thousands of torches, candles and wooden lamps lit up the palace's garden like a daylight. The hundreds of ladies and gentlemen in their many-coloured kimonos looked like enough of colourful flowers to her. The many flowers designed in most of women's hair added to the extreme array of colour and light.

Streamers of flowers and countless garlands hung from every Japanese tree and every Japanese table practically cascaded with the many bouquets of flowers of every kind.

In the centre of the large lawn, a huge wood was built to be the dance floor. She watched happily as the many geishas and the dancers danced in unison with their paper fans and joyful music. The other visitors who were not dancing wandered and mingled around throughout the rest of the garden while the many guards still watched in silence.

Not far from the dance floor a small platform had been raised to accommodate four special tatamis where Hiko, Okon and Kenshin sat. The other one was not occupied that made her wonder where he was when she spotted a huge gathering of women near the foods' tables.

'I guess he was there.' Misao thought.

"May I be of service, my lady?" someone said in courtesy, making Misao jump. Turning to the person, she was almost surprised to look at Soujiro. Memories flashed in her mind as she remembered that the smiling boy in front of her was an expert in murdering people.

She shook her head no.

"Can I help you in any way?" Soujiro asked, unconvinced - he gave her a warm smile as his mind trying to register if he saw this person before.

"No, thank you." She answered as he bowed in respect and walked away.

As the hours passed by, she just stood behind the tree and hid herself using the cloak Megumi gave. The night was windy and a cup of sake might kill the chill. She refrained to grab the drink; aware that Yumi and the others will see her if she made her way to the foods' table. Misao wanted to remain unnoticed as what Yahiko had planned.

It was a fantastic night despite the fact that she was all alone among the crowd. Several men asked her to dance but she rejected them. She does not know how to dance and for the most part, she lacks the interest. Several times, she wandered all alone. Seeing the garden lit up like daylight had been already enough.

She observed, walked and hid again in the bushes not far from the main party place. She even tried to blend herself in the shadows, like a spy. It made her sad that she has to be this way but somehow, she was enjoying the feeling of solitude. In the distance, she could hear the music begin again as another round of dancing starts.

"Kenshin, enough drinking sake!" a feminine voice said that made Misao looked behind her and quickly hid. Her eyes travelled to the source of sounds... not far from three feet, a couple sat on the ground. The red-haired man was leaning against the stone wall while the woman grabbed the cup from him.

It was Kamiya Kaoru, she recognised. She heard a lot about her and knew that Kaoru a year older than Misao. She was lovely in her indigo kimono and pink obi.

"Oro... just let me drink one... Just one..." he pleaded.

"But you already drink more than twice so enough!" Kaoru exclaimed. "You should dance with another girl and I should save Aoshi!" A giggle escaping her lips, "He's already lost in the crowd of ladies and it made me feel so guilty." She continued.