Chapter 4: The Sudden Decision

REVISED: 05 February 2019

4. The Sign

-;-

It was almost three weeks after Misao had ran into Aoshi that the first scheduled party was due, planned for the last weekend of June. Every family throughout the entire Japan received a formal invitation as well the list of each ball and theme that would follow.

· Third week of June – Flower Ball theme.

· Second week of July – Japanese Fan Ball theme.

· Last ball – Date to be announced but all women are required to wear white kimonos and red obis.

· Wedding Ball – Date to be announced.

Today was June; the beginning of the ball will be themed as flower festival.

In sudden time, the entire Kyoto was completely full with hopeful women and their families. When the inns became full, almost every local family was overloaded with relatives from further places in Japan. Several families who did not have relative even went as far as to rent out rooms in other's homes.

The shops became extremely busy with a long list of orders for the upcoming parties. Fine kimonos were top on the list of needed items followed by sandals, fans and cosmetic products. With the coming of the first ball, every flower shop in town was out of best pristine flowers that made Kamatari and Yumi yelled more at her for not getting those.

The most prominent restaurant in Kyoto was called Shirobeko. It was run by the twins named Tae and Sae. The restaurant was busier than ever and Yahiko was lucky that he got an extra pay every weekend and now, he courts a cute girl around his age named Tsubame.

Not wanting to lose time, Misao immediately walked in the road leading to the forest. She must pick the best pristine flowers before lunch came. Lifting up her wooden bucket, her feet ran fast as she enters the familiar ground. Her first stopped was the nearest area with the large rock on it but to her dismay, the lush field that was usually filled with flowers were already picked. "Those whores will kill me." she said in despair.

Again, she crossed the ground and entered the forest again. As she walked in the shaded maze like woods, she ran fast to her favourite place; the meadow. She knew many wild flowers grew in there and hope that they had not been found. Wandering the maze of woods she couldn't help but to remember the day she met Aoshi. Part of her wished he would be here somewhere but as the silence of the forest lay heavily on the trees, she knew she was all alone. Taking a deep breath, she began to pick the flowers that caught her eye.

Misao's eyes wide at the delight to see some beautiful roses that are contrasting the green bed of grass. Many of them were deep red with a few paler red amongst of them. Even though the thorns pricked her finger, she manages to gather at least dozen of the full blossoms as well as a few buds that were nearly perfect.

It was already lunchtime as the sun brightly gleam towards the horizon. Misao sat alone in the forest with her basket full of woods, herbal plants and wild flowers. Watching the slow march of time with the shadows, she decided to make a flower crown for her hair. Looking back, she realised that everything she had done were for Shishio's orders and it has been a while since she made something for herself...

-;-

Aoshi had to run away this day. It was the decision he made as the dawn crept over the distant hills and Kaoru, who was now staying for a mean time in the castle could be heard in the hall calling out orders for decorations with Okon. As the very important person in the event, Aoshi knew that he will be the first on her things to get ready.