Chapter 6: The Kiss Under The Rain

REVISED: 05 February 2019

6. The Kiss Under The Rain

-;-

Megumi took her breath - Today, she should be in her clinic, working and helping people to cure their illness. Today, she should be making some herbal medicines and sell it in the market. Today, she should be having the usual day of being the single/uncommitted woman in this wide world. But no, today; she was walking in the busy street of Kyoto with the guy she found the most idiot among the idiots, Sanosuke.

She sighs and looked around. People looked at them and whispered something she could not hear; perhaps they thought she was dating with him, for goodness sake! She could imagine rumours spreading fast like a fire, 'The well-respected doctor Takani Megumi was seen alone with the former street punk Sagara Sanosuke!'

"Hey, fox? Can you at least talk and fill this awkward silence?" Sanosuke asked.

"Well, if not for Misao, I would not go on a date... I mean walk with YOU!" she answered, loudly.

"Oh? Aren't you happy for once to spend some time with me? Today is my rest day from my stressful job..."

"Well, all jobs are stressful..." Megumi commented with a heavy sigh.

"...I know that is why we should enjoy this day! We should eat in the Shirobeko after buying a kimono. Maybe I should take you to some cool places I visited with Kenshin." He said, analytically.

The name struck her heart like a roar of thunder. Of course, she was having some fun with Sanosuke and appreciates his feelings for her. Part of her was glad that he got a decent job and they never fought like dogs and cats anymore, but if Kenshin was on her side instead of him, she would be happier.

Himura Kenshin...

The prince who saved him from the fires in her hometown Aizu, eight years ago...

She was eight and he was fourteen.

He was her former friend with a friendship that lasts for fifteen years. They spent some time together in the castle during their childhood years and became very close friends. She already met Hiko, Okon, also Aoshi that made her presence welcome in the palace - but not until Kenshin met Kaoru, not until she heard that they were already engaged, not until he rejected her and broke her heart into pieces...

Despite the sadness and intense sorrow, she became really matured about it – she moved on. If Kenshin was happy with Kaoru, so Megumi will be happy too. But the pain he caused her is already too much to torn her into pieces that made her decided not to face him ever again.

"Please come again!" the shop owner told them as they bought the kimono for Misao.

"Sorry." Sanosuke said, this time his voice was low. "For mentioning his name."

He knew her too well, her secrets, why her mood suddenly changed. "No, it's fine... I wish to go home now... I'm already tired." she lied. Somehow, she felt really bad because she made Sano worried about her unrequited love feelings.

"Want me..." he paused."...to escort you home?" He added, his voice trying to sound polite to her.

"No, you don't need to! Just go to the clinic and tell Yahiko to bring Misao..." she answered as Sanosuke turned around to leave. "Hey, rooster head..." she whispered in her usual soft voice, making him stop; he turned to look at her, "Thanks for everything."

Sanosuke just smiled in return- weakly.

-;-

It was the longest three weeks of her life. The next ball was themed as 'Wind' so most of the fans and newly designed kimonos was already purchased. This time, Yumi sent her out the day after the first ball to get all of them elegant paper fans. With the kimonos already taken care of, she hopes that the time spent until the next ball would be simple return to her old routine.