Chapter 2: The Ride

REVISED: 05 February 2019

2. The Ride

-;-

After everything that happened in the Northern Kyoto, Aoshi only wishes to find peace this day.

His father was mocking at him again with his mother discussing about the immediate marriage, which he was, unfortunately lack the interest. His thoughts always went to his four dead friends, how the gun bullets took away their lives in front of his sight, protecting him.

Aoshi only wanted to mourn this week; stroll in a place where unobtrusive things can help shut his mind from loneliness. He did not regret the choice of walking in the maze-like forest, where he expertly knew that it led to an old temple. The peace is such tranquillity, he gently closed his eyes.

Not until he heard a scream.

As he was walking deeper into the forest and following the trace of sounds, he was surprised to see a group of samurais tolerating a young girl that made him sheath his twin swords and decided to kill them all in one swift motion.

For a few seconds, the boys looked with disbelief at the dark-haired prince, "Shi... Shinomori Aoshi!" one of the samurais said as he prepared his sword to kill the prince.

"Now... now... it seems like we have two birds in one stone here, eh?" Said Cho as he shoved the two samurais aside – he, the leader comes into view.

As Aoshi was looking at the gang ahead, he saw a girl with a long braided hair. The girl went beside him and clutched his arm, signifies that she was so afraid. Her face reflected in his kodachi showing her wide eyes that are gorgeous shades of indigo and beneath the smudged face, pale skin can be seen. For several seconds, she looked up at him until recognition shines in her eyes and her hand comes to her mouth as she gasps.

The prince do not actually mind the girl's hold on his arm; he held his kodachi in place to protect her when a voice interrupted the tension between the prince and the gang.

"Aoshi-sama, you're running alone again!" A voice of a young man said from the distance. He was wearing a blue samurai outfit with a sword attached to his waist. Seta Soujiro paused when he confusedly saw the gang and the girl hiding behind Aoshi. "What do we have here?"

"Soujiro, please take care of these boys. Finish them off." Aoshi ordered as he sheathed his sword back to its place.

When the killing disappears from their view, Aoshi turned to the girl. She looks at him for a moment before realising that she was holding his arm. Quickly removing her hand, she gave him a small curtsy and stepped away. Her face is very easy to read like an open book, her expression tells that she had never witnessed a murder scene before.

"Don't be afraid." He murmured. "I won't harm you." Aoshi said and noticed that the sun was beginning to set.

With a start, she looked at the sky as well and turned to leave. A small smile coming to her lips before she swallowed, "Thank you, Aoshi-sama... for saving my life." She nodded in respect. Again, she turned to leave.

"What's your name?" He asked, surprised to find the words leave before he realised they were already said. He did wish to know her name, as odd as it seemed, he was certain that she reminds her of someone.

Misao was surprised to ask her name – a name of a servant girl like her. The wind blows and all cherry blossoms were falling into place. The surroundings were already reddish dark from the sunset and pink petals were scattered everywhere. At that moment, it seems that the time suddenly stopped when their eyes met...

She was certain that he has the most beautiful blue eyes. If she will give it a name, it will be icy blue.

"Mi... Misao, Makimachi Misao." She answered but her voice is shaking because of mixed feelings. Looking the way back, her eyebrows furrowed, worried that her household was finding her now, "I'm sorry but I must hurry back, Aoshi-sama."