Chapter 15: The Realisation

REVISED: 05 February 2019

15. The Realisation

-;-

Aoshi was really angry, no he was totally furious! The pain from the dagger stung like an ice and fire in his side. He had been wounded like this before and he already knew that it missed everything vital. When Soujiro stabbed the dagger into his side, he did not hesitate to kill the offending man.

He can still recall how Misao, the servant girl pleaded him not to pull the dagger out. She even stayed by his side and the knowledge was a real comfort. His mind replayed the memories of the last few moments. When she yelled at him and ran down the stairs, he thought that she was Akari. Then he knew that it was impossible, Soujiro mentioned before that he already killed her.

Curse Soujiro, Aoshi will make sure that the boy will suffer in prison...

"Where's father?" Aoshi asked no one in particular.

"Avoided any major injury, fought off the assassin better than you did!" Kenshin joked out. "Brother, are you fine?"

"I am." Aoshi answered. "How's everyone?"

"Every person is safe and the remaining members of Juponggatana were all captured. Soujiro was in comatose." Kenshin told him as he recalled how he thrust his reverse sword into Soujiro's chest.

"Aoshi-kun!" His mother, Okon yelled from the distance and ran towards him with a doctor by her side. "Oh, dear! The pain must be terrible!"

"I'm fine, mother." He answered as the doctor started to examine him.

"Do not move as I tend your wounds. It has been a long time since I saw you, Aoshi-sama." Megumi said and took another bandage to wrap it around his wound. A question quickly popped in his mind...

Where is Misao?

Aoshi stood, quickly ignoring Megumi. He looked over the crowd but all he could see are the faces that showed panic and worry. He also noted that Princess Emi had been fainted and was being fanned by her ladies. Sanosuke stood before him with a blood on his face and a wound on his forehead. He told Aoshi about the capture of the six assassins and a known nobleman who was involved.

"I am impressed with your quick work." He commented. "Tell me the name of the villain you arrested."

"Makoto Shishio." Sanosuke answered.

The name brought back many memories of Akari then a face of Misao came to his mind.

He sought her out and she saw her sitting in one of the thrones, her face in her hands as she wept.

Aoshi wanted to thank her for her good deeds so quickly made his way to her and gently laid a hand on her shoulder, "Thank you, Misao..." To his surprise, she only wept more...

A commotion at the doors brought everyone's attention to several guards who were escorting Shishio and the eight remaining assassins. Soujiro has passed out but he was still in the hands of the palace guards.

"What is the meaning of this, Shishio?" Demanded by Emperor Hiko.

"A bid for a crown. I took my chance, I always wanted to take over the government and reverse the laws you implemented. But I will tell you nothing more." He grinned and looked at the Emperor and smiled broadly at Misao.

"Take them away, Sanosuke! Find out their motives and the person who paid them! Lock them in prisons!" Hiko ordered and the villains were finally led away. The crowd cheered as they walked away.