Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

It was chilly when Panya woke up. She wasn't sure where she was at first. Then she remembered the strange new world she found herself in. She hugged her knees to her chest and prayed she would be able to make sense of things soon.

The sun had barely risen. She sent a silent prayer of gratitude that Ra had risen once more.

A thought occurred to her. It was a new day, a new sunrise. Had Djer escaped the Duat or had Ammit devoured him? She felt like a terrible person as she realized she was praying for the latter of the two options.

What am I to do now? She wondered. She had survival skills. She could live off of the land. The problem was, this place seemed so strange. She did not recognize anything around her. There was no desert, no sand, no obvious sources of food other than random birds who happened by. Panya liked birds. She didn't want to have to kill one, but she was famished.

She picked up a rock and crouched in the trees, waiting for just the right moment. When it came, she sighed and tossed the rock aside. "I cannot do it," she admitted aloud. "It is wrong. Birds have always been kind to me. I cannot end one's life, even to save my own. I cannot end anything's life to save my own." She struggled not to panic.

"I am going to die out here, slowly, instead of quickly and as he wanted. Is this what you planned all along, Father?" She demanded. "Are you satisfied? I will die painfully as I starve. I do not care. At least I shall not be yours! Wherever I am, it is far from your temple. I shall not be with you in the Afterlife."

She pondered this. Maybe starving to death wouldn't be so bad. It seemed a kinder fate than eternity with that man.

Suddenly, Panya heard a noise. She willed herself to stay small and invisible. A boy came toward her. He didn't look much older than she was, but he was dressed as oddly as the others. He was incredibly handsome and had hair as light as the sun itself. His eyes found hers and she knew he saw her. In fact, she felt fairly certain he saw her in that moment better than anyone else ever had.

"I'm sorry," he said as he recovered. He continued to stare at her, but not as openly. "I didn't realize anyone was here. I'm just passing through. Don't mind me."

Panya didn't understand his words, but for some reason, she was drawn to him. He was literally glowing. She felt the urge to leap into his arms and never release him. He was safe. He would help her find safety.

He looked at her. "Do you understand me?" He asked gently. When Panya didn't reply, he said, "I guess not. I'm Dean. I don't know why I'm still talking... Dean," he said again. He pointed to himself. "Dean."

"Dean," Panya repeated.

"Yes! Great." He pointed to her. "Who are you?"

She stared at him, clearly puzzled. "You." He said again. He pointed to her, then slowly approached her until he could reach her arm. Gently, he took it and again asked, "You?"

Somehow, Panya understood his intention. "Panya," She said cautiously.

"Panya. Great!" He looked at her clothes. "You look like you came straight from Ancient Egypt..." He thought about that for a moment. He began to speak in a very rough version of a language Panya did understand.

Panya was so relieved she could understand him, she nearly wept. "I am Panya," she said. "I come from the land of Djer. He has died and I have nowhere to go." She was telling him too much and possibly endangering herself, but at least he seemed to understand her.