Chapter Fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEEN

"Alyxx... Alyxx, wake up," a familiar voice said. "Come on, don't die on me, Alyxx."

     Slowly, Alyxx opened her eyes. She stared up at the face of the man cradling her body against his own. She felt safe in his arms.

     "Mark," she whispered.

     "Oh, sweet Gods! You scared me to death! Are you okay?" He asked.

     "I think so," Alyxx replied. "A bit tired..." Suddenly, she was alert. "Where's Olivia?"

     "I have no idea," Mark said. "Zane called to send me looking for the two of you, and I found you, but she's gone."

     Alyxx spotted a fallen notebook not far from where the men had been standing. "No..." She whispered. "Shit! They have her, Mark. These freaky men showed up and attacked us and now they have her! I was holding them off, but someone knocked me out. I didn't know anyone was behind me... This is my fault."

     "Alyxx, whatever's going on, it's not your fault. What did the men look like?"

     "They had shaved heads and wore black sunglasses. They were dressed in black, too."

     "Did you recognize anyone?"

     "No. I've never seen them before in my life."

     Mark pulled out his cell phone, still holding Alyxx with his free hand. "Zane, it's me. I found Alyxx, but Olivia's gone. Alyxx said they were attacked by some strange bald guys with sunglasses. She got knocked out, so she doesn't know what happened to Olivia..." He paused. "I know. I'm sorry. Try to stay calm, okay? We'll find her." He hung up.

     "Does Zane blame me? We were supposed to protect each other," Alyxx said.

     "No way," Mark insisted. "Zane's more practical than that. He's just freaked out that his sister's missing, which is to be expected. He told me to bring you back to the house so Marie can try to heal you."

     "No. We need to find Olivia."

     "Alyxx, you have a nasty bump on your head. You're in no shape to fight right now."

     "Do you see all the unconscious guys in the alley?" Alyxx asked. "Yeah, me and Olivia did that. And the dead ones? I killed them. Don't ask me how, but I did. I can do this. We have to save her."

     Mark looked impressed. "There were a lot of guys here."

     "I know. I've never done that sort of thing before, but it felt so natural. I just knew what to do somehow."

     "Well, we can worry about that later. I still say you get checked out before you go running back into battle."

     "I'm fine." She tried to stand and nearly collapsed. "Alright, I'll go see Marie first."

     "Good," Mark said. He helped her to his car, which was parked down the block from the alley.

     "Thank you," she said.

     "For what? Zane sent me. I didn't do anything special."

     "For always being there, you nitwit! You seem to always know when I need help, and I'm pretty sure it's no coincidence you're the one who found me." She leaned against his chest and kissed him before she even realized what she was doing.

     Mark was startled, but quickly returned the kiss. Then he pulled back. "You're concussed," he said.

     "So? I like you. I liked you before. I like you now. Concussion or not." She smiled at him.