Chapter Thirteen

CHAPTER THIRTEEN

When Dean carried a still unconscious Josie into Zane's house and Ryan supported Panya so she could walk straight, anger showed in Zane's eyes. He quickly gained control of himself when he noticed the fear in Panya's eyes, but the equally strong look of rage remained on Jonathan's face.

     "What happened?" Jonathan asked, rushing to take Josie from Dean and lay her down on the couch. "Why is Josie unconscious?"

     "Panya, are you alright?" Zane asked. "You're wounded. I should call Marie..."

     "We barely made it there in time," Ryan explained. "Panya's head was cracked open. I think she has a concussion. As for Josie, Panya said her father flung a spell at her and knocked her out."

     Zane stood in front of Panya and tried to touch her. She pulled away violently. "Please, no," she whispered.

     "I'm just going to check your wound," Zane assured her.

    Her fear was obvious, but she took a shaky breath and allowed him to check her head.

     "I'm so sorry, Panya," he said. "If I had had even an inkling that you would be in danger, I never would have sent you to that class."

     "It is not your fault. You did not know," Panya replied automatically. "Tend to Josie. She is hurt. He destroyed the frogs and she screamed... It was awful... My head hurts. I think I'd like to go to sleep now." She knew she was rambling, but she couldn't seem to make herself stop.

     "You can't sleep with a concussion," Ryan said. "You have to stay awake until it heals."

     "I am just so tired... So very tired..."

     "I know. I'm sorry, Panya, really, but it's dangerous for you to sleep right now."

     Julian knocked on the door and entered the house. "Oh good, you're alive! What happened to Josie?" He asked.

     Dean explained things. Julian nodded, then asked, "Where are Alyxx and Olivia? They left the school before me. They should be back by now."

     Zane's face turned serious. He pulled out his cell phone. "Call Marie," he told Julian as he dialed another number.

     After a few moments, Zane's face looked more concerned. "It's off," he said. "Olivia's cell phone is never off."

     "Maybe the battery died?" Dean suggested.

     "Something's wrong," Zane insisted. "I can feel it."

*

     Alyxx and Olivia had barely gone two blocks from the school before they hit an alleyway. Alyxx had a bad feeling. "Something's wrong," she said. "I can feel it in the air. Can you?"

     "Yes," Olivia agreed. "Alyxx, stay behind me. If we get attacked, run."

     "Run? I can't just leave you here."

     "You're on the list of people who might be in danger. I need to keep you safe."

     Before Alyxx could protest, they were surrounded by a group of men with shaved heads and dark sunglasses. The men attacked almost immediately.

     "Run!" Olivia shouted again.

     "I can't!" Alyxx replied. "I won't leave you." She began defending herself. Olivia was stunned to see Alyxx pulling off moves she'd never even dreamed of. Suddenly, Alyxx was no flower child. She was fierce.

     The men seemed to realize this and hesitated. Alyxx knocked several of them unconscious. She punched one in the nose and shoved the bridge into his brain, killing him instantly. She continued to fight. Olivia tried not to stop and stare at her.

     "How are you doing that?" Olivia asked as she kicked one of the men away from her.

     "I have no bloody idea," Alyxx replied, "but it's kind of groovy, right?"

     All but two of the men who had attacked were soon on the ground, either dead or unconscious. Olivia was hyperventilating and struggling to catch her breath. Alyxx hadn't even broken a sweat.

     "That was amazing!" Olivia said as she downed some water. "I haven't ever seen someone fight like that, except for Jennifer, and she's a warrior Goddess."

     "I can't believe I did all of that!" Alyxx proclaimed.

     The two men stood still, waiting for something. Alyxx was about to grab Olivia and run when something crashed down on her head and everything went black.