Chapter Sixteen

CHAPTER SIXTEEN

Josie looked at him in confusion. "What did you call me?" She asked.

     Jonathan felt foolish. Of course she wouldn't remember him. If she was some sort of reincarnation of Alice's soul, she would only have knowledge of her present life. "Goddess," he said. "You're my Goddess."

     Josie blushed. "You're my soldier," she replied. "I think I'll keep you."

     He knew then, even more than he had. Alice had called him her soldier as well. He liked the idea of Josie claiming him as belonging to her. He wanted to belong to her and he wanted her to belong to him.

     She's a child, Jonathan reminded himself. You can't have these feelings for her just like you couldn't have had them for Alice. Stop being foolish.

     "What are you thinking?" She asked him.

     "Nothing important, Goddess."

     Panya saved him from further explanation when she turned to them all and said, "Aset."

     Everyone stared at her. "I beg your pardon?" Jonathan asked.

     "Panya, are you alright?" Zane asked. He immediately stood at her side.

     "I am well. She spoke to me. The Goddess wants me to find her. She needs our help."

     "What is she going on about?" Alyxx asked.

     "Aset. Many people have confused her with Isis in modern times, but she is a different Goddess. She's a Goddess of magic and battle and creation and so many things..." Panya's eyes were wide, like a child filled with wonder. "She called to me tonight."

     "Panya," Zane said gently, "that is not possible."

     "I do not understand. Why do you doubt me? Have I said something wrong? You are upset."

     "I'm fine," Zane replied. It was obviously a lie. "I don't doubt that someone claiming to be Aset, probably Chaos, reached out to you. I simply know it cannot be her. She was destroyed a very long time ago, long before the battle with Chaos. He was trying to destroy my soul, but she jumped in front of me and took the spell. She vanished before my eyes." Zane looked as if he might cry.

     "She was Ra's consort," Mark explained. "Her destruction devastated him. He never loved another entity."

     "I am sorry, Zane. I do not mean to upset you," Panya said. "Our mythology told no such story." She hesitated. "I know you say she was destroyed, but are you certain?"

     "Very," Zane replied softly.

     "It was not Chaos who spoke to me. I believe it was the Goddess. She needs help, Zane. She is trapped somewhere terrible."

     "Stop!" Zane, who had never raised his voice to any of them, yelled.

     Everyone froze. Panya curled up as small as she could manage, as though her vanishing tricks would work on Zane. "I am sorry," she said. "I am so sorry. Please do not be angry with me." She was shaking and started rocking back and forth rhythmically.

     It was Alyxx who reacted and rushed to Panya's side first. She hugged her. "It's okay, Panya," she said. "He's not going to hurt you. Right, Zane?"

     Zane took a deep breath. "Of course I'm not going to hurt her," he replied. "I'm sorry, Panya. I didn't mean to frighten you. It's just that Aset is a sore subject for my soul. It brings up a lot of painful things. And the things you're saying... That you hear her and that she needs help... My soul's eldest daughter used to say that when she was small. She was also destroyed by Chaos, ultimately."