Chapter Twelve

CHAPTER TWELVE

Without warning, someone ripped Mr. Falcon violently off of Panya. She struggled to make herself focus. Someone had slammed Mr. Falcon into the wall. He was bleeding. Two people were taking turns beating him.

     Panya began sobbing aloud. She could no longer contain her fear, or her relief that this time, it seemed someone had succeeded in saving her. She was shaking and could not bring herself to move.

     One of the figures came toward her. "Panya, can you hear me? You're safe now. It's alright," he said.

     She couldn't understand what was happening. She struggled to focus but her head hurt. "You're injured," the person commented. "Dean! Dean, leave him alone. He's had enough. Panya needs help."

     Dean, Panya thought. Dean is here. Dean is seeing me like this... She was ashamed. She wished she could make herself move so she could cover herself up.

     The person standing beside her covered her with a long black jacket as if he sensed her modesty. He helped her sit up. "Dean! Seriously man, I need you over here."

     "No! He will pay for this! He will die for this!" Dean declared.

     "Damnit, Dean, get your head on straight! Panya needs help." He held her in his arms. "It's okay," he said. "It's all over. Please say something."

     Panya still couldn't speak. She wanted to do as he said, but it was too difficult.

     "Hold on, Panya. You're going to be fine," he reassured her again. He held her to his chest and she felt something wet fall on her face that hadn't come from her eyes or her injury. He was crying.

     She looked up into his eyes then and saw that it was Ryan who held her. Ryan was crying. Why was he crying? It seemed odd to her.

     "Set..." She whispered.

     Ryan held her closer. "You're safe. It's alright. He can't hurt you anymore. He'll never hurt you again." He released her. "Give me just a minute, alright? I'm not leaving the room. I just need to calm Dean down."

     He walked toward Dean. She felt vulnerable and wished Ryan was still standing by her side.

     "Dean!" Ryan shouted. This was met with a growl. Ryan shook his head. "Horus! Knock it off! Panya is injured. She's bleeding!"

     Suddenly, Dean snapped back to reality. His eyes widened in horror. "What did he do to her?" He asked. "Were we too late?"

     "I don't think so," Ryan said. "I pulled him off of her before he could actually do what he wanted, but I think he came way too close."

     Dean left the unconscious Mr. Falcon alone. "Panya, I'm so sorry," he said. "Are you okay?"

     Panya was too ashamed to look into his eyes. He knew her secret now. He would never want her around again. She was damaged. She was unworthy of his affection.

     "Panya, please, say something," he begged. The sorrow in his voice made her want to cry again.

     Instead of crying, she pointed toward a figure hidden by desks. "Josie," she said. "She is hurt. She tried to save me... Frogs... He was attacked by frogs..."

     "Crap," Ryan replied. He knelt beside Josie. "Her pulse is steady. I think she'll be okay, but we should probably get her head checked out."

     "Frogs," Panya said again. "He said a spell to get rid of the frogs and she collapsed."