Chapter Eighteen

CHAPTER EIGHTEEN

Everyone was gathered around the obelisk. Zane had quickly alerted everyone to the horrible news. Janna wrote a ritual within an hour and told everyone to meet her there. She recited a quick spell over Misty's body and the visible damage was repaired. She, too, wore a golden ankh, but she would not be burned as Jennifer had been.

     "The least we can do is spare her parents from having to see her like that," she explained. "Let us begin."

     No one said a word as they each lit a white candle. Soon, Misty's body was surrounded by them. Janna presided as High Priestess and spoke of Misty's life which had been ended far too soon.

     "She was a pure child with a strong heart. We shall miss her dearly and ask that Osiris guide her through the Underworld so she may be reborn once more," Janna said. She recited a prayer in Ancient Egyptian before continuing. "Seshet, we mourn your loss and pray you find peace in the Afterlife. We will meet again one day."

     Slowly, Janna walked around the circle and extinguished each candle one at a time. Still no one spoke. There were no words.

*

     There was no time to properly mourn Misty. Zane's cell phone rang and he picked it up. His face paled and rage showed in his eyes. "I will be there," he said angrily before hanging up the telephone.

     "What happened?" Christian asked.

     "That was someone from his cult. They have my sister. They insist she is alive but won't stay that way unless I trade myself for her." There was no emotion in his voice now.

     "You can't go," Richie said. "I mean, it's obviously a trap, right?"

     "She's my sister, and she is Ma'at. I have no choice."

     "Then we'll go with you," Adara said.

     "Yes," Christian agreed. "This is the battle we've been expecting. It's time to act."

     "I have weapons in my car," Mark said. "It should be enough for everyone."

     "Why does that not surprise me?" Lily asked.

     "Come on," Keisha said. "If we are going to do this, we have to do it soon."

     "Stay behind, Keisha," Zane said.

     "I won't abandon you all," Keisha argued.

     "You're pregnant. We can't risk something happening to you."

     "Again, Keisha? Wow, you're fertile!" Dean said.

     "She's a fertility Goddess," Ryan pointed out.

     "Aw! Congratulations!" Richie said as he gave her a hug.

     "And Josie," Zane added. "You're too young to come with us, sweetheart. I will not risk your life."

     "I can handle myself," Josie protested.

     "I know that, but I'm not letting you endanger yourself today. We have already lost Jennifer and Misty. We can't lose you, too."

     "Zane, you guys need me."

     "Of course we do. That's why you need to stay safe."

     "You can't make me sit this out."

     "Josie..." Jonathan said. "Please, Miss Josie. I don't think I'll be able to focus on what needs to be done if your life is in danger."